Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 08-26-2008, 05:07 PM   #71
Registered Member

Your speedo will fit just fine

1966 Peugeot 404 Coupe Injection
Mike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 06:43 PM   #72
Registered Member

you know, some bikers actually go camping with their motorcycles.

with the weight savings of y'all being scrawney, you could probably haul one of those motorcycle trailers (the ones you pull with bikes) for all your gear.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 05:14 PM   #73
Registered Member

The xB1 is better than the
Smart in so many ways...

Cargo, Seating, MPG only slightly worse, Speed (Hahah), Utility.
Z man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 08:51 PM   #74
Registered Member

Do you REALLY think that cargo space, speed potential, "utility" and number of seats are factors that were not considered by smart buyers?

smart driver: D'oh! I've owned this car a week and now I realize I can't get my kids in the back! D'oh! It's not got the plywood hauling capacity of my Big Bobby McBubba Pickup! D'oh, it's not shaped like a toaster!

LOL!
Old 09-02-2008, 09:26 PM   #75
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
Do you REALLY think that cargo space, speed potential, "utility" and number of seats are factors that were not considered by smart buyers?

smart driver: D'oh! I've owned this car a week and now I realize I can't get my kids in the back! D'oh! It's not got the plywood hauling capacity of my Big Bobby McBubba Pickup! D'oh, it's not shaped like a toaster!

LOL!
Very true.

So you could just save 10 grand and get a motorcycle, which is even easier to park. (sidecar for the wife? LOL)

I was just pointing out that the Smart is nearly useless compared to the xB.

But I am extremely biased.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:36 AM   #76
Registered Member

considering that a smart is around 13-14k. that would only leave 3-4k for the bike if you were saving 10 grand. that means you are on a 250 or a 300 and a side car? just from a safety point of view, those things have trouble getting out of their own way and you are adding another person with the side car.

also you can drive the car in the rain and you don't have to get a special lisince to drive it like a bike (I know, it isn't that hard to get).

I think the advantage to the smart is that most people only need about as much cargo space as the smart has MOST of the time and usually people commute to work alone which is another advantage to the smart. also, with the smart you can get good mileage even if you aren't driving for FE which will help a lot of people.

that being said, it isn't the perfect vehicle. you can't fit the capacity of a truck within it (plywood scenareo). it was never meant to do everything. being a man that has a boxy vehicle myself (honda element) I understand why you like it. you can put just about anything you want in it. I also have all wheel drive on top of that. but the fact is that I pay for that. I also have a hitch on the back of mine to haul a trailer as well. My MPG suffers greatly from that but the matter is that I don't always have to get bad FE.

also remember that the new Xbs are using the larger engine which killed their FE so even though you were lucky and got the one with the 1.5 liter. they don't make them that way anymore.

and yes, I am a little biased too.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:25 AM   #77
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z man View Post
The xB1 is better than the
Smart in so many ways...

MPG only slightly worse
... i dont think thats better, you actually said worse. that said cargo, seating, and utility are only 3 ways and that to me doesnt constitute "so many" especially when "cargo" and "utility" are closely related. now lets be honest. how many people use those things commuting every day to an office?

the smart gets significantly better city mpg. it also is a LOT more fun to drive. i dont know about you, but i would much rather take the smart to a track event than the xb. also, i have never been in a fwd car with a 1st gear that is worse than the xb's. my point is, i "enjoy" driving my car to work and from work every day. likewise i would enjoy driving the smart to work everyday over the xb. dont take it personally, its just my preference making the smart a better pick for me and the same is true for most smart drivers.

anyway if i were to go on i would be reproducing what Mike T pointed out.

you cant compare the smart to a motorcycle. the smart is as safe as the xb while a motorcycle definitely is not.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:16 AM   #78
Registered Member

I also enjoy driving mine with the convertible top down (try that on a Scion), the heated seats and other comfortable options my car has. I would guess that most people buying any car know exactly what they want before they buy it!
Old 09-03-2008, 12:24 PM   #79
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisntjared View Post
... i dont think thats better, you actually said worse. that said cargo, seating, and utility are only 3 ways and that to me doesnt constitute "so many" especially when "cargo" and "utility" are closely related. now lets be honest. how many people use those things commuting every day to an office?

the smart gets significantly better city mpg. it also is a LOT more fun to drive. i dont know about you, but i would much rather take the smart to a track event than the xb. also, i have never been in a fwd car with a 1st gear that is worse than the xb's. my point is, i "enjoy" driving my car to work and from work every day. likewise i would enjoy driving the smart to work everyday over the xb. dont take it personally, its just my preference making the smart a better pick for me and the same is true for most smart drivers.

anyway if i were to go on i would be reproducing what Mike T pointed out.

you cant compare the smart to a motorcycle. the smart is as safe as the xb while a motorcycle definitely is not.
I'm only in first gear for 2 seconds at a time, I don't really focus on it.
I think I could maybe out-corner you, even with the extra 750lbs total. hmm?

The xB is very fun to drive. I feel like something is missing if I don't drive anywhere for a day. Its the most fun thing I've ever driven, which is out of only about 10 vehicles.

At least I have the option to pick up a couple friends, (carpool, less gas use, better)

and do not have to consider such things before I go somewhere.

When I was in Munich the Smarts and bikes were all parked sideways along the street.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:38 PM   #80
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
Quote:
I'm only in first gear for 2 seconds at a time, I don't really focus on it.
thats why i hate it
Quote:
I think I could maybe out-corner you, even with the extra 750lbs total. hmm?
with me driving a smart? the car that weighs that much less and is rear wheel drive and engineered by germans. i think the smart would win. the xb has a horrible corner exit even for a fwd car.
Quote:
The xB is very fun to drive. I feel like something is missing if I don't drive anywhere for a day. Its the most fun thing I've ever driven, which is out of only about 10 vehicles.
was one of them a smart?

i considered buying an xb for my wife a year ago and a smart for myself more recently. thats how i developed my opinions, btw.