Hypermiling with a bus - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 08-20-2009, 06:03 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hypermiling with a bus

My neighbor wants to sell a bus (old greyhound) which has been converted to a motor home. He told me it gets about 10-mpg, so what if I used some hyper-miling techniques, what is the potential for mpg?

vectorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 06:37 PM   #2
Registered Member

10mpg sounds pretty good already, I was thinking 7...

Large vehicles with a very low power to weight ratio are almost never overpowered to the extent that cars are, meaning that much advantage has to be taken of the torque band of the motor, and gears changed often... this tends to mean that just getting the thing down the road at all requires a lot of technique that might be described as "hypermiling"

However, adding in some coasting may or may not pay off, I'm fairly sure you'll be close to BSFC minimum already, just getting it to move, so doubt it'll add too much. With that you have to balance the pain in the neck of losing speed such that you need to go up through 5 gears again to get back up where you were, and if you mistimed it, the horror of having to crawl a hill at 30, when you could have kept momentum to start it at 60 and finish at 40-50.... with your foot to the floor.

Anyway, if you get 12 from extra hypermiling technique then you'll be doing real good.

On the modification side, arse end turbulators may gain a little, as may small proportion of Biodiesel (added lubricity) and HHO is always reported to give a solid 10% on large diesels with a suitably sized unit (No engine controls to mess it up)

I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 06:55 PM   #3
Registered Member

12 mpg is better than 10, and I just really want to get my neighbor across the street to go on a short trip with me. Please give me some advice on how to get this done.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:26 PM   #4

Well, I wouldn't buy an old Greyhound bus to impress her, that's for sure.

Maybe a day trip to Newport Beach, with dinner at the Crab Cooker. Or a trip to the San Diego Zoo or Seaworld, if you're closer to San Diego. Get her home early, and don't even think of taking advantage of her vulnerability. Act like a gentleman.
FrugalFloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:35 PM   #5
Registered Member

Thanks for the tips Darrell. I would never take advantage of a woman's vulnerabilities. I've done that kind of a date before and I'm still single for my whole life and no girl-friend for last 25 years. Just looking something, anything. Maybe a bus
Old 08-21-2009, 02:07 AM   #6
Site Team

How old is old? Manual or automatic transmission?

For their size, they are already quite efficient. I would just get on the freeway and keep the speeds low.

Powerball was just at 200+ million (not anymore). If I'd won, a Greyhound Bus wasn't on the "wish list". But actually it's not a bad idea, especially with about a million dollars in renovations...

-BC
Old 08-21-2009, 06:48 AM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
If you win Powerball, forget the Greyhound, buy something that's made for the job...a Prevost.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:36 AM   #8
Registered Member

Is that one of the ones with a rear garage (Toad in the hole? ) so when you're fed up of getting 10mpg you can get the Bugatti Veyron out and do 4.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 10:47 AM   #9
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
I don't think Prevost makes any toy haulers.

What about this one, though?

Old 08-21-2009, 10:53 AM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vectorg View Post
My neighbor wants to sell a bus (old greyhound) which has been converted to a motor home. He told me it gets about 10-mpg, so what if I used some hyper-miling techniques, what is the potential for mpg?
the nice thing about hypermiling with that is people wont expect you to accelerate so fast and such.
As opposed to my situation. I have 3.8L camaro, but most people see a Camaro, and expect me to accelerate very fast, and drive like an ***.

soda_pop503 is offline   Reply With Quote