How I made my ****ty auto torque converter lock up without an auto ecu - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > Transmissions and Running Gear
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2006, 03:23 PM   #1
*shrug*

How I made my ****ty auto torque converter lock up without an auto ecu

Well, I was like ***, I want my torque converter. Depinned the pin that runs to it, gave it 12v on a switch. Switched it at 35mph, nothing happen, left it and hit 38 (where it normally goes), and wow, it hit.

So, I assume mine works by just always getting power (except during cold start) and then engaging based on pressure.

Just something to know.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 03:39 PM   #2
Registered Member

So you will just supply 12V

So you will just supply 12V all of the time? Switch always on? I can't imagine why you would want to switch it off.

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 03:53 PM   #3
*shrug*

I switch it on after it

I switch it on after it warms a bit, the torque converter might die if I run it on cold fluid (like I care, but yakno). I got a call from honda today so hopefully when I call back I'll get good news about my internship.
Old 03-28-2006, 03:57 PM   #4
Registered Member

Good luck with the

Good luck with the internship at Honda. Does that mean you will get a discount on parts?

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 04:02 PM   #5
*shrug*

Thanks. Like I'd buy parts

Thanks.

Like I'd buy parts there. I should be able to pimp their tools and lifts and ****. My idea is to auto to manual it up in there.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:11 PM   #6
Registered Member

Isn't it the same as turning

Isn't it the same as turning OD off on new cars??? Like if you turn it off the torque converter unlocks?

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 06:13 PM   #7
*shrug*

I spose if you want to think

I spose if you want to think of it that way you can. I think of it as a 5th gear really.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:16 PM   #8
Registered Member

I thought thought my car was

I thought my car was slow whenever I went WOT because of the torque converter. But my car accelarates faster with OD on. The problem is my car runs so rich that 3rd gear WOT is as slow as accelarating normally in 4th gear. That's a lot of fuel wasted for nothing.

Old 03-28-2006, 09:29 PM   #9
Registered Member

Re: I thought thought my car was

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compaq888
I thought my car was slow whenever I went WOT because of the torque converter. But my car accelarates faster with OD on. The problem is my car runs so rich that 3rd gear WOT is as slow as accelarating normally in 4th gear. That's a lot of fuel wasted for nothing.

Whether or not the O/D switch is on is independent of the torque converter. At WOT, the TC generally won't engage until you reach triple-digit speeds or you let off of the gas. Back in the days of running the 'Teg, the TC would engage at top gear around 4000-5000 RPMs (about 110-120 mph). Saturn SL auto-trannies are really wierd -- their TCs engage at wierd times, like 3rd gear at 40 and kick in and out randomly -- never driven something like it. Because of the gobs of torque, the non-turbo diesel ambulances I drove generally kicked the TC-in at 2nd gear. During normal accel from a stop: 1st to about 1500 rpms, shift to 2nd, up to 1300-1500 then a "slide" feeling when the TC kicked-in, drops it 200, then 3rd caught almost right after the engagement. We had O/D buttons too, but it would just keep you out of 4th.

Bottom line: the O/D button does nothing but the equivalent of shifting into "4" or "3" (depending on 5-speed or 4-speed autos, respectively).

SVOboy- The Teg is the same way, it's temperature based to be "ready" (like your constant voltage), then after the engine and trans. sensor warms up, it waits for the right speed. Then it depends on either the throttle input or pressure on it to kick-in. Once it's engaged, I can keep it there until like 1500 rpms then it just lets go as it's programmed. I'd love to know how it decides all this stuff.

RH77
Old 03-28-2006, 10:21 PM   #10
Registered Member

I wish my tq converter could

I wish my tq converter could kick in whenever I wanted it. I want it in 3rd around the streets too.

Actually you're wrong on the O/D button. Whenever I turn the OD off doesn't matter what gear I am the rpms jump up and the engine lugs around. As soon as I let go off the gas it feels like the engine is doing the braking. It feels as if the car gained 30 more hp. It pulls harder. But for topend(really high speeds) it's slow. For speeds below 80mph the OD off will gives me more power. I guess I forgot to turn it off when racing against the civic. My cousin who was riding shotgun said I only beat him by half a car. At the track I always race with OD off. So far I'm .3 of a second faster than a stock altima from a factory and I'm 100% stock all the way down to the air filter.

My TQ only locks up if OD is on and i'm at 37mph or higher and light on the gas pedal.