GS FAQ/Glossary, Busted/Confirmed Mods, Archive - Page 5 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 11-15-2006, 08:27 AM   #41
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95metro
Serious testing takes time and energy.

... a dyno, This would remove most of the variables that on-road tests are generally prone to.

On-road tests with some form of data collection (ie - ScanGauge, SuperMID, data acquisition computer/software) are always at the mercy of the elements. Temperature, humidity, wind, and (most of all) the driver are variables that cannot be determined as to their affects on a given test.

However, a calm, warm day and a relatively flat road (or predetermined "track") will provide some data to at least make educated assumptions on.

Weather and track conditions must be recorded before each run.... to establish a baseline and/or margin of error between runs. I personally feel that multiple runs are necessary since environment and driving style could cause fluctuations in fuel economy during each run.

... the test should be performed again on a different day. Different vehicles and testing on different days would ensure that the device is indeed causing an improvement in mileage. If it really does work we should see slight to obvious results every time the device is added regardless of vehicle or environment.
Generally, a good synopsis of testing procedures. However, I feel the need to say a few things....

1) "...takes time and energy." You forgot money! Bring lots! After all, "you get what you pay for." Scotch tape, wire, and generalizations don't cut it!

2) "...a dyno." Again, bring money...especially if considering buy one!
Dynos are not "real world"! They do provide absolute deltas, though. Two areas where dynos are useless...weight and wind effects. These are "real world" parameters!

3) 'Mercy of the elements".... Good point! Temp., BP, & RH can be monitored, wind direction can be ignored if steady and slight. Dyno correction factors require changing HP results according to a standardized chart...to put all / everyone "on the same page".

4) Multiple runs will average out the variables ; long runs are better than short.

5) Different vehicles? ...on different days? Why? A good, solid delta can be "translated" to any vehicle, anyplace! The delta may not be constant, but better is better!

Ted Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 09:26 AM   #42
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lane
ive been using acetone for months with great results mpg went from a norm of 26-28 up to 30-36 mpg it definately works and makes my car start faster and run smoother.
Hi, "Lane"!
Acetone works ... a little bit! there are other compounds which work better! Acetone can be used in conjunction with these "other" compounds (no elements here!) to enhance vaporization. What can be done after vaporization? Lots.... Check the "GasSavers Marketplace, under "For Sale". Look at the "Another gas additive?". That's me!

Ted Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 05:49 AM   #43
Site Team

As a noob, I was a tad confused by "FE", which I assume means "fuel ecomony".

-Bob C.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:58 AM   #44
Site Team

Also I saw another site about the adding grooves to the inside of cylinder heads. I would love to see someone test that concept.

-Bob Cunningham
Old 12-07-2006, 07:29 AM   #45
*shrug*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobc455
Also I saw another site about the adding grooves to the inside of cylinder heads. I would love to see someone test that concept.

-Bob Cunningham
Diamond larry has done it, I believe, in combination with a lot of other things, so I don't know if he knows anything about that alone, but he's done it.

I don't have quench space, so I can't do it, so I really don't know very much myself.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 07:54 AM   #46
Tuggin at the surly bonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickflipjr
They're kinda like barn doors. Has anyone found an inexpensive way to replace the side mirrors with tiny cameras and put LCD monitors on the dash?
Old 12-23-2006, 06:57 AM   #47
Registered Member

I guess with the discussion on ignition timing you could put that on the list until some one test it. Also need to add the confirmation of side mirrors to the confirmed list.
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 11:09 AM   #48
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
So what do you think of adding LBL = Lean Burn Lag to the glossary of terms? Since we are getting more VX owners on the board and more people are hearing this term it might be helpful.

I know this glossary sure helped me out once I found this board.

Definition:
LBL = Lean Burn Lag

Found in 1992-1995 Honda Civic VX models. It is the reference to the feeling of lost power under steady cruising on the road in Lean Burn mode.

Maybe Krousdb and some others can input more on that subject as well.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 07:56 PM   #49
Registered Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
FAS > Forced Auto Stop. basicly turning the engine off. Be it on a coast or at a stop light. MPG is always better the less the engine runs. 1 5 15
NOTE: FAS is the term that is pretty much agreed upon for hybrids, but since most non-hybrids so not have an Auto Stop feature, FAS would not make sense. FES, EOC, and CODFISH have all been suggested, but there is no clear term yet, we should have a poll one of these days. - SVOboy
I was SOOO dissappointed when I found out what FAS meant. It was the hardest acronym to look up and it don't make no sense. (Actually I had seen it as Forced Auto Shutdown).

Why am I in a twist? it is the process of manually turning off your motor (i.e. with the key), perhaps while coasting (in something resembling neutral). In essense it translates to a "Manual Automatic Shutdown", there's nothing automatic about it!! Turn back the key for a second, the engine shuts down!! It isn't worthy of such a self contridictory acronym, even if it is a hybrid term.

It's like when you hear that the word gullible isn't in the dictionary. And then go get the dictionary to check...
Old 01-26-2007, 08:33 PM   #50
*shrug*

FAS means the forcing of the auto stop feature to go in such a way as to not be auto any more, or something such.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote