Saturn SL2 mods fopr mpg - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 08-11-2006, 09:54 AM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
it was the difference between the hf and the dx/si in terms of Cd (.29 versus .30).
Really that was the only difference? Tires? Passenger mirror? (Partial) undertray?

I admit I looked at my wipers too, today. Excrescences! (I think my passenger mirror's days may be numbered too...)

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 10:38 AM   #12
Registered Member

Mine doesn't have a passenger mirror so the decision has been made for me. I don't miss it at all because the Civic hatches have such great visibility. My 85 HF also had no passenger side mirror.

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 11:24 AM   #13
FE nut

Welcome to the site. I recently bought a '99 Saturn SL2. I didn't get as good a deal. Mine has 94,500+ and I paid $2800 for it from a dealer in Paramus, NJ; originally listed on Ebay. It is currently undergoing a head modification at a friends house in Ickesburg, PA. The head is being ported, valves ground and back-cut, and a few other mods such as the Somender(sp?) Singh grooves and power lynzs in the intake runners and grooves on the backs of the intake valves. The grooves and power lynzs are intended to induce swirl in an effort to increase combustion efficiency.
As far as other suggestions, keeping the speed down, as stated above will help a lot. My SL really started to suffer FE loss when I got much above 60-65 mph. You could also replace the air intake temp sensor with a 110 ohm resistor. This has help significantly on my SL in the past. I don't know where it is, but there is a thread somewhere on that. SVOboy? Once again, welcome!

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 11:51 AM   #14
Registered Member

Hi sl2man. Well anyways I can't belive anyone didn't mention getting a scangauge (instant mpg computer) yet, maybee I just missed it. My sl2's lifetime mpg is around 31. But my car is a crappy running 92 auto.

Distance traveled by bicycle in 2007= 1,830ish miles
Average commute speed=25mph (yes, that's in a car)
kickflipjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 12:34 PM   #15
*shrug*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG
Really that was the only difference? Tires? Passenger mirror? (Partial) undertray?

I admit I looked at my wipers too, today. Excrescences! (I think my passenger mirror's days may be numbered too...)
Twas the only difference I am aware of. The passenger mirror was an option but I've yet to see a second gen CRX without one.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 10:40 AM   #16
Supporting Member

The Rain-X additive to the washer fluid is great! A fresh application whenever I hit the squirter lever. I've passed semis in a rainstorm while the cars around me have their wipers on high. However, I'm not about to remove the wipers. Good to have them if needed, such as the occasional spray of mud from the car ahead whose driver can't keep all wheels on the pavement.

Drive to work today I was behind a semi by 4 seconds. The driver must have been drunk, or thought I was tailgating. He was getting the right-side tires off the pavement onto the shoulder. As soon as the first pebble hit my windshield, I dropped back even further and let other cars in line ahead of to protect my car from the gravel spray. <end rant>

davidjh72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 03:12 PM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnsl2man View Post
The goal is 40 to 45 mpg highway without changing my gear ratios in the tranny.
Take Care
Should be easily achieved. You should probably set your goals higher. By holding a constant throttle at 55 mph, you should be able to get close to or beat your goal without any mods.

I haven't really done any serious mods to my Accord that has an auto tranny and weighs too much and I get that mileage on the highway just by slowing down.

repete86 is offline   Reply With Quote