New GM diesel in 2 years - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 08-01-2007, 07:39 AM   #1
Registered Member

New GM diesel in 2 years

I am SOOO looking forward to this one! 4.5L V8 diesel, same size as a small block Chevy but built as a diesel first and foremost. This will fit right into the 'ol S10.

I was so exited about this I went down and test drove a new Duramax diesel truck. Wish now I'd been into diesels before this. Incredible power there, played around a little with a Mustang but not too much since the sales lady was in the truck too. The one we tried was a crew cab long bed 2WD, since the whole family was around. This is a 3.5 ton vehicle by itself, and had outstanding accelleration, felt more like a Camaro than a huge freaking truck. At 20MPH, going WOT has the rear wheels hopping like mad. And, the sales lady said her boss drives one just like the one we drove, and he sees almost 17-18 MPG out of it. Mileage that high with that kind of power out of a truck that heavy and huge. Yes, I think diesels are for me.

But, as I don't need a 3.5 ton truck that can pull down a house, I won't be getting a crew cab Duramax. I will be putting back my nickels and dimes, and will try to buy a wreck with that new 4.5L turbodiesel to put in the S15. That kind of power in a truck that weighs that little, I should be able to get into the 40s, maybe even the 50s, with the engine stock, no actions taken to improve mileage. Do what is needed to improve mileage, and I'll have my cake and eat it too! 10 second quarters and 50MPG, here I come!

Would be even better if GM announced even smaller turbo diesel engines, because 310HP and 520TQ stock will be quite a bit more than I really need, a 3 liter turbodiesel that makes 250HP and 400TQ would suit me just fine. What's nice for everyone else about this: The engine was designed to be put into a wide array of cars, so we may finally start seeing more actual full-size cars on the road with diesel engines and rear wheel drive. This should really take the wind out of the SUV and light truck sales, and maybe those of us into real, actual working trucks will finally start getting actual, capable trucks instead of foo-foo overhyped overluxurized cars with beds on them again.

Telco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 07:59 AM   #2
Registered Member

Dayum! Ask and ye shall receive!!! [url=http://www.gm.com/company/gmability/adv_tech/100_news/2007_releases/cadillac-engine-030707.html]Here's the 3 liter diesel making 250HP and 400TQ I was just asking about, except it's a 2.9L V6 with 250HP and 406TQ! WOO HOO!!! I think I'd rather have this for my truck than the 4.5L!!!

That is, IF they bring it to the US. They are planning on it going in the Caddy CTS and so far as I know Caddy doesn't sell overseas, so here's to hoping.

Old 08-01-2007, 02:31 PM   #3
Supporting Member

Telco -

Hrmmmmm, my GasSaver soul doesn't like any displacement above V4/2.0 liters, but a 40 or 50 MPG "stock" V6/2.9 diesel makes me question my ways.

But, the IF is very big :

Quote:
The compact dual overhead cam, four-valve V-6 engine belongs to a new GM family of diesel engines, featuring an innovative closed-loop combustion control system designed to meet future emissions standards. The engine can be installed in a longitudinal or transverse layout and can be adapted to a wide range of two- or four-wheel-drive vehicles.
I am thinking GM will cut it's teeth in Europe for a few years before it trickles down to the US market.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 07:53 AM   #4
Registered Member

Cool, then you may be very interested in what comes about when the low sulfur fuel is available. Was reading a performance magazine (don't remember which one) where they were talking about testing a new Toyota diesel Camry that is supposed to come to the US in 2009. They claimed 75MPG on the drive to the Nuremberg testing center for a 24hr endurance test, and the car was able to maintain a 150MPH average speed for the 24hr test. 75MPG from a Camry. If they do bring those cars here, everyone will HAVE to play catchup, which means the CAFE standards may be stripped raw in a couple of years. Here's hoping.

On the GM engine, I just need a RWD diesel for my truck. If they don't bring the 2.9L here, then I'll be doing the 4.5L. I can understand not wanting a large engine for a car, but I do haul from time to time, need more power for those times. A diesel would just let me burn less fuel while doing it.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:56 AM   #5
Registered Member

ULSD is already available AFAIK.
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 09:20 AM   #6
Supporting Member

My guess would be that that diesel Caddy will never go on sale in the US but who knows. The CTS is actually the model that Cadillac hopes to get a foothold with in Europe. Offering it with a diesel is pretty much a must then because in Europe American cars have the reputation of being nothing but gas guzzlers and sales of American cars in Europe are next to none-existent at the moment.
McPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 09:37 AM   #7
Registered Member

Well, if all you are looking to do is waste a different kind of liquid energy (not as much as a suv though), there's the DIY 6.5L diesel corvette:
http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/t...ad.php?t=27855
Old 08-02-2007, 11:36 AM   #8
Registered Member

A C3 Corvette getting mid 40s in mileage is far better than the original 350 which got about 15MPG. That's triple mileage, probably little reduction in power, on an old tech diesel. Imagine a new, modern direct injection turbodiesel in a lightweight like a Corvette. Better to use 1 gallon than 3 gallons on the same trip.