Tips on Valve adjustment - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 02-07-2008, 04:02 AM   #1
Registered Member

Tips on Valve adjustment

Im about to do a valve ajdustment on my 1994 civic vx anyone have any tips on how i can make this adjustment smoother like if theres anytin i should look out for and what tools to use

domggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 04:05 AM   #2
Registered Member

the firing order is 1342, what i do is use a long extension for cylinders 3,4,2 to make sure its at tdc (put it in the spark plug hole). when it reaches to its toppest point and will go down if you turn it, your at tdc.

civic94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 06:18 AM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
Jam nut tool/Valve lash tool

Best tool for the job, other wise a 10mm combination wrench and a straight screwdriver.

The Helms procedure can be found HERE in pdf format. That PDF has all the specs and procedures, just make sure you follow the ones for the D15Z1.

Hope that helps you out.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 06:54 AM   #4
Registered Member

its simple as hell on hondas. just knowing and understanding all the procedure you'll fly through it easy. never even used that tool^.
feeler gauge
small screw driver
and wrench
guest001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 07:46 AM   #5
Registered Member

One thing I would make sure of when I do it again is to adjust the valves to the smaller end of the tolerance range. If you do it to the larger end of the tolerance you might get a ticking noise when the engine is running...no harm being done, it just gets annoying. Other than that, it's a real easy job to do on a Honda/Acura. No need to use an extention to find TDC, there should be timing marks for each cylinder on the cam gear.
Old 02-10-2008, 04:13 PM   #6
Registered Member

^ true, adjusting them a little tighter will quite them down a lot.
guest001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:49 PM   #7
Registered Member

Please hold the laughter, can someone elaborate on the best way for me to turn/rotate the engine to align tdc marks for each cylinder?
SCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 04:14 AM   #8
Registered Member

Put a socket on the crank pulley bolt on the front of the engine, or if its a 5 speed, you can put it in gear and bump the engine forward on level ground.

Its always best to turn the engine in its normal direction of rotation- counterclockwise for this Honda
GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 04:25 AM   #9
Site Team / Moderator

That's exactly how I turned Rusty's crank when I was replacing his timing chain this past spring. I just put a big socket on the bolt attached to the main drive pulley and slowly turned it. If I can turn a small block Chevy V8 with a 1/2 inch socket wrench a Japanese 4 banger should be no problems. If it is difficult to move you may want to remove the spark plugs so there is no compression (I didn't do this on the V-8, YMMV). Make sure you know which way the pulley turns when the engine is running and under no circumstance turn the engine backwards.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 06:48 AM   #10
Registered Member

I haven't heard anybody mention it yet so....

Check (and double check) the valve clearances first. It's not guaranteed that 100% of them will need adjustment. The last time I ran my valves, only 4 out of the 16 needed adjustments. Measuring before you loosen the adjusters up can save you a lot of time in some cases. I usually follow the following sequence: 1)Rotate engine 2)measure valve clearance 3)adjust if necessary 4)re-check valve clearance 5)move on to next valve in sequence. This way you only go through the engine rotation sequence (the most time consuming part imo) one time.

GasSavers_Hal9000 is offline   Reply With Quote