Placing a screen under the throttle body - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 03-10-2008, 02:50 PM   #1
Registered Member

Placing a screen under the throttle body

In my constant quest to get better gas mileage in my 94 chevy truck I often ring up engine performance to mechanics that I run in to.

Well, an older man that I ran into told me that I should get 2 throttle body gaskets and place a wire screen from lowes in between. Making a sandwich out of the gaskets with the screen in the middle. I thought that he was just kidding with me but he swore up and down that this was an old trick to use on TB's because the screen will cause the gas to spray out into thinner molecules before it hits the combustion chamber.

Before I waste my time making this contraption does anyone see any benifit or possible problems if I do this? Has anyone ever heard about this before and does this contraption make any sense at all?

Thanks in advance,
Reishi

Reishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 04:42 PM   #2
Registered Member

I am doubtful that it will help. The gasoline will atomize when it is sprayed out from the injectors.

I would think that if it would really help, car companies would already be doing it on FE cars like the Prius, Yaris etc..

GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 04:44 PM   #3
Registered Member

Aluminum window screen has been known to oxidise and break up getting into the motor, so would be better to find some good quality stainless steel mesh. This was an old trick for carbs, which tend not to spray so good as TBI does. The idea is that it catches the bigger droplets, or busts them up and they evaporate off the mesh in the airflow. Is reported to work well on some vehicles, maybe lose a touch of throttle response if the mesh is restrictive. May work well in combination with a "warm air" intake. Haven't tried either myself, just have MPFI vehicles to play with, so this is just stuff I've picked up by osmosis hanging round fuel economy sites for years.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 04:46 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
I would think that if it would really help, car companies would already be doing it on FE cars like the Prius, Yaris etc..
Modern higher pressure injection systems have a better spray pattern, so those would definitely not need it. TBI is typically lower pressure, around 9-15 PSI and droplet pattern is often rather coarse.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 04:58 PM   #5
Registered Member

Ditto. Usually results in fuel "pooling" on the mesh, yielding goofy throttle response and a host of other issues.

The idea was sound in certain carb situations, such as on race motors where atomization was less than optimal and the motor spent a lot of time at WOT.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:25 PM   #6
Registered Member

Thanks for the responses.

The guy I talked to was certainly a good mechanic in his day but I don't know if he knows much about the newer vehicles. Although he did say that he did this on the same model truck that I have so I guess I could give a try and measure its effectiveness over a few tanks.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:58 AM   #7
Registered Member

i was looking into mesh behaviour for a totally different reason (grillblock) but it turns out a fine grit will smooth out airflow and destribute the pressure over it's entire surface.

and the flow will remain straight for some distance after the grit after wich it will go turbulent again. so perhaps the grit will even out the turbulence caused by the throttle valve. on the other hand it might cause a slight restriction wich would cause you to run higher throttle setting for the same airflow.

if this guy has tried it as says it's successful i'd sure give it a shot... i don't see any huge problems this could cause if it's carefully constructed out of the right materials.

lunarhighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 04:02 AM   #8
Registered Member

Mesh screens are used to help even out the flow and pressure variations in the throttle body intake tract , especially where the butterfly can cause disrupted flows.

Not seen so much these days as most engines are multi point injection.

Cheers , Pete.
GasSavers_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 05:23 PM   #9
Registered Member

I went ahead and made the contraption and placed it under the throttle body this afternoon. I took the truck around the neighborhood and it feels really responsive. Almost like it isn't struggling as hard to get up to speed. However, this may be wishful thinking though so I measure any difference over the period of a few tanks of gas.

I generally average right at 11.5 mpg so I am looking for anything to help.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:10 PM   #10
Registered Member

The screen obviously reduces the area of the intake. Might just help increase the intake velocity. I've seen that done with epoxy on some racing motorcycle intakes.

Looking forward to your follow up.