40.3mpg in a 2001 Cavalier - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 09-29-2008, 10:54 AM   #11
Registered Member

I'd rather not go around with just one headlight. I think i will try pulling that fuse.

the wiper thing was more of a curiosity. it also makes me feel pretty good that the best you can do on your wife's is 37. that means I am doing alright.

any other advice would be greatly appreciated. I am running about 45psi in my tires and I have a complete grill block for the bottom and weather stripping at the top along with a WAI and an airdam. I did put smoother hub caps on but I don't think that did much (if anything).

when I first saw your car in the top 10, I didn't really believe it until I saw all the mods. that gave me hope of getting a lot better on my car. I started with 30mpg and am now at a running average around 36.5mpg.

didn't mean to highjack the thread but we are still talking about cavaliers.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 10:55 AM   #12
Site Team / Moderator

Interesting way of doing the wiper mod. I like that its easily reversed.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 12:05 PM   #13
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
You don't go around with one headlight. The low beam and high beam bulbs are separate in that vehicle.

The high beams would be cockeyed but that's all. The high beam switch turns off the DRL system and they run like normal lights.
Old 09-29-2008, 02:12 PM   #14

i am fairly sure that there is a combo bulb... but did some google action and came up with this:

All you have to do is locate the Body control module located on the drivers side kick panel ( in front of the door, by your feet) once you are there, there are three connectors that plug into it. the middle plug has two rows of pins. The plastic keepers are lettered "A" and "B" unplug the center plug (the dome light will go off when you do this) locate the "A" & "B" markings on the darker blue portion of the connector. On the "B" side row of pins, there is a dark blue wire six spaces over from the one side, seven over from the other. Cut this wire and simply add on a piece to the side that goes to the module connector, long enough to reach any good ground lug, like a screw in the metal part of the dash. Connect the wire to ground, and inside the body control module, it see this to mean that the regular headlights are on, and so it energizes the relay that turns off the DRL's. That's it, try it, it works perfect, NO side Affects. I tried the relay trick before this, and was not happy with all the added stuff I would have to do to get around the side affects. besides, I can put this back as easy as splicing a wire back in place. So PLEASE try this, and save Fuel, and my eyes, because you might be driving on the same road as me some day, and I won't blind you.
Note: one reader reports that if you want to add a new remote for keyless entry you'll need to revert your DRLs to normal to add the remote.

this is for the 2000 and it might be different on other years.
Ratman667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 02:47 PM   #15
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjones96 View Post
The high beams would be cockeyed but that's all. The high beam switch turns off the DRL system and they run like normal lights.
I'd say to investigate the high beam switch, which (at least in my GMC) is a huge tangle of tiny wires that do a million things in ways that don't make sense (ground something when you expect +12v, give +12v when you expect it to be dead, etc), but someone did the googling I suggested...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman667 View Post
i am fairly sure that there is a combo bulb... but did some google action and came up with this:

All you have to do is locate the Body control module
See? Toldja so!
Old 09-29-2008, 04:01 PM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Titan View Post
I broke 40 mpg today. I don't know how much better I can do in this car but I am happy so far. I have a ScanGuage on its way so I hope I can squeeze a few more MPGs out of it. This car is quite the little mpg sleeper.
not bad. don't forget to put it in your garage so we(and you) can follow your progress.

otherwise this skeptic group may call it a fluke or not a complete fill. seriously tho, well done.
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 08:33 PM   #17
Registered Member

being a cavalier owner myself, I can totally believe those numbers. I have the 4-speed auto which kills my potentian. as phleas said, the ceiling seems to be just under the 40 mark.

the 5-speed gives so much more potential. with EOCing and coasting like crazy, I can see those numbers going through the roof. I guess I am a little biased because I own a cavalier. I'd love to hit 40 legitimately myself. I have it 40 but it was a short fill (and I know it). I have hit 38, that made me smile.

I would still start a gas log just to keep up with it if I were you. that way, you can share the love. I hope to help out other cavalier owners (and sunfire I think) and hope to steal some ideas from others.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:47 AM   #18
Registered Member

Another Cavy owner here. I have the base three speed variety, and have pretty much maxed out the car as far as I want to take it for now. If I had the know how I would throw a five speed in it, and to really make it go the extra mile, swap in a 1.8 liter. At that point though I'd be better off just finding another car for cheap with that combo already.

phleas, you are an inspiration. Hopefully someday I can pick up a cheap five speed Cavy and give you a run for Cavy MPG champ!

Edit: Here is a thread on J-body.org about disabling daytime running lights. Not sure if you have to be a member to view it or not.

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.ph...0&t=326113&p=1
Old 09-30-2008, 11:57 AM   #19
Registered Member

I think every cavalier owner here has been watching phleas and stealing his tricks if we can.

mine is the 4-spd auto trans

Old 09-30-2008, 12:01 PM   #20

just out of curiosity, what motor and tranny combo does everyone with a cavalier have?

i have the 2.2 OHV 5 speed.

Ratman667 is offline   Reply With Quote