E15 will replace E10! EPA deadline for comments =5/21/2009. - Page 6 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2009, 04:38 AM   #51
Registered Member

I think we should get PETA in on this. To craze to make ethanol out of corn is getting farmers away form crop rotation witch leads to more fertilizers being put on to our soils and washed into the rivers. In the end it will affect the part of “people eating tasty animals”.

I do feel that E10 s a good thing but do not see the need to make it E15. I think they should up the amounts of detergents that are in the gas. Cleaning out some cars would impact there mpg and in turn make a dent in to the real problem IMO. I would also go for smog testing in all the states.

ecofarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:03 AM   #52
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
It doesn't make more power that I can tell, but it does go down the road (that's my goal).
right, to make more power, you need bigger injectors and a either a greater compression ratio or forced induction. hence why i would want bigger injectors to run the stuff.

Old 05-02-2009, 01:55 PM   #53
Registered Member

just a POV, nothing else...

a local auto talk (radio)show has discussed E10 since it made it's way to central florida ~12-18 months ago.

the mechanics on the show claim that they have had more complaints about fuel delivery issues and have replaced fuel pumps themselves in recent months than EVER before.

boat and small engine owners in the area have claimed more fuel related failures as well. this is what i have noticed--my gas mower ran beautifully up until last summer. age? maybe, but i switched the carb(from an older mower) and it ran great once again.

maybe the heat/humidity in florida plays a roll? we DO know that alcohol absorbs water/moisture and affects rubber/plastic adversely.
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:17 AM   #54
Registered Member

i ono weve been running all sorts of small engine crap on e10 for a good 20+ years here. never have had a fuel related issue. Ialso repair other peoples lawnmowers and such and ive only had 2 issues with fuel: one being the hose from the gastank to the carb got dryrotted from the outside and 2: the gas they were using had been sitting for 2 years
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 12:51 PM   #55
Registered Member

The pre-'88 or so stuff might have problems with rubber parts not compatible with ethanol. Newer stuff shouldn't. At least that's true of cars. I'm not for sure on other stuff.

F150:
New EPA12/14/17

theclencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 01:19 PM   #56
Site Team / Moderator

Stuff like my Buick... E15 would not be good in a 1981 Buick.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 01:57 PM   #57
Registered Member

Well that is a gray area for me. I have lots of pre-88 gas powered things and have had no choice but to run E10 in them for years. The main thing I've noticed is that gas doesn't store as long as it used to. But, operationally, it seems the same. I don't know if another 5% will hurt. It's not like pouring E85 in there.

I tried my E85 experiment in a carb'd vehicle once and it did not like it. The carb doesn't automatically richen like EFI. Yes it could be adjusted but I didn't want to do a dedicated E85 tune-up.

F150:
New EPA12/14/17

Old 05-03-2009, 02:36 PM   #58
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Yeah, I don't know that another 5% would be a big problem for old cars. I've posted the excerpt from my 1980 Buick's manual where it says 10% is fine, I doubt another 5% would break the bank...er, I mean, carburetor.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:37 PM   #59
Site Team / Moderator

I guess if the computer on my Buick worked right it would richen the mixture. It does have an O2 sensor, but I doubt that carb will be able to make that much of a change of mixture, even if it was working right.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 05:44 PM   #60
Registered Member

I have an '84 Tempo with the feedback carb but don't want to do E85 in it due to the rubber parts. Still, it's been fed E10 for years now. If we get E15, it will get that too. I would expect that this has been tested by some govt agency, or someone contracted to the govt.

F150:
New EPA12/14/17