D15Z1 Engine swap project log - Page 8 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2006, 01:16 PM   #71
Driving on E

Just redid all of my solders today on the engine harness. The liquid electrical tape was just not going to work.

I also wired up the ignitor (obd0 and obd1 have different plugs). I'm going to wait to wire up the distributor once the vehicle is in the car.

Tomorrow I'll finish the wiring and MAYBE get the engine back in if I have time. I'm going to use an engine mount from a obd1 engine in hopes that I won't have any problems.

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 02:51 PM   #72
Registered Member

more pics please

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 05:00 AM   #73

Keep going Matt!

Check out my 5-spd conversion thread in a little while. I'll have pictures of how I yanked my engine.
GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 05:06 AM   #74
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaX
Keep going Matt!

Check out my 5-spd conversion thread in a little while. I'll have pictures of how I yanked my engine.
Thanks. I did more wiring last night. I'm essentially making my own harness after all is said and done. I'm wiring up an extra plug for easy engine removal in the future. It seems that doing wiring the right way is a PITA.
Old 06-12-2006, 05:49 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion
It seems that doing wiring the right way is a PITA.
Definately. But the finished product is SO nice. Be sure to check out my thread in a little...you'll see how unnecessarily deep I'm diving into wiring, just so it looks stock and everything unplugs.
Old 06-12-2006, 05:57 AM   #76
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaX
Definately. But the finished product is SO nice. Be sure to check out my thread in a little...you'll see how unnecessarily deep I'm diving into wiring, just so it looks stock and everything unplugs.
I was just telling Compaq via IM that the plug I'm using isn't big enough. I'm going to have to go back to the junkyard today to find more wiring plugs and redo the ones I've already done.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:20 AM   #77
Registered Member

Quote:
I'll give you as much as possible. I started making my own harness a while ago for obd0->obd1, but I decided it was going to be easier to buy one pre-made from www.rywire.com. It cost $130 and has instructions that come with it.
I've checked the site, they sell an obd0-obd1 ECU conversion harness for $104 (w/o shipping) and a ECU/Distributor adapter/VTEC subharness for $190. Which one should I go for? I could probably make my own, but the shear hassle would keep me from getting this project rolling and end in frustration. If I got the ECU one what else is left to change over, assuming the engine I receive has all nec. sensors? Thanks, Mak

MakDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 11:29 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakDiesel
I've checked the site, they sell an obd0-obd1 ECU conversion harness for $104 (w/o shipping) and a ECU/Distributor adapter/VTEC subharness for $190. Which one should I go for? I could probably make my own, but the shear hassle would keep me from getting this project rolling and end in frustration. If I got the ECU one what else is left to change over, assuming the engine I receive has all nec. sensors? Thanks, Mak
Personally, I say that if you've already got an ECU jumper harness, go buy (if you don't already have) a HELM manual (~$40) and do the rest of the wiring yourself.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:29 AM   #79
Registered Member

Quote:
I usually go to the junkyards to practice part removal. I can totally screw up and it only cost the the $2 admission.
OMG. Dude that was funny. I almost choked to death on my coffee when I read that!

https://www.cardomain.com/ride/2452824

GasSavers_Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 11:32 AM   #80
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakDiesel
If you like wiring, just get the ECU harness. Just email ryan at rywire and he'll know what you'll need.

If you don't like wiring and you happen to have a spare d15z1 engine harness laying around (along with an extra harness for your car) I'd send them in and have them do all of the wiring for you. I believe the $190 item requires you to send in two harnesses and you'll get one back.

My engine came with all of the plugs and all had a good amount of wire on them.

Oh, you're also going to need an EGR control box, which is unique to the VX. You can get them for about $20 on honda-tech.

Your best bet is to email ryan and tell him what you have and to tell him what you want. Be certain to mention that you heard to use him b/c of this website.