Most users online - what happened last month? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 07-06-2006, 10:27 AM   #1
Registered Member

Most users online - what happened last month?

I periodically check the bottom of the index page to see the "record" activity stat. It changed while I was away last month:

Quote:
Most users ever online was 43, 06-23-2006 at 11:48 AM.
So, what happened? The previous stat was for May around the time oil first hit $75 a barrel (and pump prices went up accordingly). Did prices go up again and drive people online looking for fuel saving tips?

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 10:30 AM   #2
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG
I periodically check the bottom of the index page to see the "record" activity stat. It changed while I was away last month:

So, what happened? The previous stat was for May around the time oil first hit $75 a barrel (and pump prices went up accordingly). Did prices go up again and drive people online looking for fuel saving tips?
Heh... I only hope so..

On the old software we had over 200 users online once, but I think that's because the old software counted search engine spiders and this one does not.

Maybe as oil prices continue to rise so will people's desire to save money at the pump.

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 12:15 PM   #3
FE nut

This should make you feel better Matt; prices went up to $3.099 here in Northern Indiana 2 days ago. They had been around the $2.909 level.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 04:23 PM   #4
Registered Member

It again neared the record price yesterday and today - $75.15.
Mighty Mira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 10:06 PM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to The Toecutter
Just you wait. You'll be looking back on this as having been cheap. I only hope I finish college, finish the EV, and pay off any student loans before the **** hits the fan.
The Toecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 10:18 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toecutter
Just you wait. You'll be looking back on this as having been cheap. I only hope I finish college, finish the EV, and pay off any student loans before the **** hits the fan.
I think so too.

It has potential to really be helpful to humankind's use of resources. While we had the oil slave, it was an era of effectiveness; do whatever you have to do in the quickest amoung of time. It was inherently wasteful. Like two children given a packet of candy by their parents but with no instructions on who gets what, both maximize their benefit by eating as many as they can in the shortest time possible, rather than rationing it and learning to make less go further.

The next two decades are shaping up to be an era of efficiency. Instead of writing code assuming that we will have infinitely powerful computers, it will be more a competition to see who can do the most with the least. Instead of building cars to go from 0-100kph in 5 seconds while being able to carry 8 people and ferry materials to a building site, cars will be built to take people from one place to another while not costing much to do so. Instead of worrying about having a beautiful stainless steel fridge that matches all our other decor, look to see people ensconcing their existing fridges with an extra foot of insulation. Same with their homes.

The engineer in me is looking forward to it.

It's getting very close to the point of no return now. It's a choice of sticking your head in the sand and losing, or seeing what's coming down the road and planning for it.
Mighty Mira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 10:27 PM   #7
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Mira
Instead of worrying about having a beautiful stainless steel fridge that matches all our other decor, look to see people ensconcing their existing fridges with an extra foot of insulation. Same with their homes.
Uh, i still want my stainless steel fridge... my current one is hella inefficient. We need some energy star!

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote