Article: Is a hybrid worth it? - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 09-24-2006, 07:45 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compaq888
I'll take my $5.5k 40mpg civic over the Yaris. I don't see the point in buying a new car.
If you commuted over 600 miles a week you might.

ketel0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 08:17 PM   #22
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketel0ne
No I wouldn't. I feel comfortable in my civic to commute whereever. I take it that you drive mostly freeway since 600 is a big number. My car gets 43.9mpg at 70mph. Some new tires with max sidewall pressure and a new PCV system and it will be 45+mpg.

I saw too many advantages by buying a civic. There are a lot of engine swap choices. You could use many other honda parts from other hondas/acuras on the car and there are a more rim choice available.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 09:23 PM   #23
Registered Member

My friend bought a new Kia and was at 15,000 miles when I asked him how often he changes his oil. He said "oh, I guess I should probably start thinking about doing that soon". As far as I know he still hasn't done it.
One reason to buy a new car... you don't know how a used one was taken care of.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:33 AM   #24
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77
So I was looking at fuel efficient cars at the AutoShow this past year. The Scion xA stood out as a nice efficient runabout. That was until I got in and saw that dad-blasted speedometer in the middle of the dash. I mean, WTF? The Saturn Ion suffered the same problem -- it was terrible!!! This can only turn off buyers, IMHO.

RH77
It takes getting used to but the passenger will like it in the middle of the dash because it is easy for them to see and tell you that you are speeding! One problem I just thought of is if you are not right eye dominant then you may not see the idiot lights when they come on. It also gives you room in front of you on the dash for other stuff like cell phone and gps navigation stuff sunglasses etc.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 01:39 AM   #25
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexK
My friend bought a new Kia and was at 15,000 miles when I asked him how often he changes his oil. He said "oh, I guess I should probably start thinking about doing that soon". As far as I know he still hasn't done it.
One reason to buy a new car... you don't know how a used one was taken care of.
I have heard oil change stories like that before - the Prius I drove the other day needs the oil changed - she bought it used and may have had its oil changed just before she got it and I don't know how many miles she has driven it since she got it but the Maint light is on ALL the time now. Another great application for Synlube!
Old 09-25-2006, 06:40 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compaq888
No I wouldn't. I feel comfortable in my civic to commute whereever. I take it that you drive mostly freeway since 600 is a big number. My car gets 43.9mpg at 70mph. Some new tires with max sidewall pressure and a new PCV system and it will be 45+mpg.

I saw too many advantages by buying a civic. There are a lot of engine swap choices. You could use many other honda parts from other hondas/acuras on the car and there are a more rim choice available.
I was comparing my new yaris to the new cars on the list. My used car is 1996 Geo metro I paid $1k for I would take that over all other used FE cars.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:55 AM   #27
Registered Member

One of the most important things in life is LIVING where you WANT TO so that sometimes a commute of 50 miles is needed to get to that good job - the second most important thing in life that allows you to afford the home where you want to live.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:11 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher
Anyone that commutes over 600 miles/week perhaps should consider a lifestyle change...
I don't think I will be moving any closer to a nuclear bomb target than I already do. The mountain seems to be a good line to keep away from DC. After Sept. 11th it was proof I needed to live further away. So now I just drive in, and work from home when I can. $140k for over an acre of land and a house on the river, vs. $500k to $1mil to live with no tree on top of my neighbor, I think the lifestyle is just fine.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:57 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketel0ne
I commute over 500 miles a week and now I don't see the need for a new car. I used to have that mindset where I had a better feeling driving something brandnew and not getting someone elses problems. Now I am just as happy driving an old-er car.

I do have my father nearby and we have a tow dolly as well as a car hauler/trailer if for some reason the car completely gives out and I can't do a limp repair to get it home. Driving an old-er car just helps me hone my mechanicing skills.

The choice to commute this far isn't regreted. Plenty happy - feels good to be in the country with the exception of when I catch those darn hunters on my property, but that's another thread......
BumblingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 02:15 PM   #30
Registered Member

I commute over 670 miles per week and would never put that kind of mileage on a new car when there are plenty of older, cheaper, reliable cars around. If you are able to do the mechanical work yourself you're way ahead cost wise. I gave $2400 for my civic over two years ago and put 70,000 trouble free miles on it since. I figure it paid for itself in the first year when you consider the maintenance and FE savings over the Jeep Grand Cherokee I replaced it with. It could (and might ) blow up tomorrow and I'd still be way ahead over what it would cost for a new car when you figure in payments and depreciation.

-- Scott