Loud Valves, or just Old - Page 4 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 03-03-2007, 05:42 AM   #31
Registered Member

Seafoam Does the Trick

Success. After the Seafoam treatment, the clatter is virtually gone. It was considerably colder this morning, and was a perfect condition for the test.

Engine at load, slow speed, ascending a hill at 2300 RPM was back to the baseline sound. No more constant "Diesel" sounds from the valvetrain (or wherever it was coming from).

Oddly enough, with the warmer weather, it posted a high-average tank of over 34 mpg (I know, not earth shattering, but for this car it's significant). Hopefully with the system cleaner, the next 2 tanks will show further improvement after the snow quits (I have to take into account the 20 mpg attained during the highway runs to clear the carbon -- but that was only a few miles). The tank is already back up to 29.x after this morning, according to the trusty ScanGauge.

I'll look into getting Auto-Rx for the next time around -- I hear good things about it.

RH77

Old 03-03-2007, 07:25 PM   #32
Registered Member

Woah

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
I normally poo-poo additives and their miraculous claims but I like Seafoam. My Corvair sits for extended periods without being run and over the years had developed a sticky, ticky lifter. Dumped some Seafoam in the crankcase and she loosened right up.
Woah! No way!

That should be on the bottle:

Endorsed by TheClencher

SEAFOAM!

Available where fine auto parts are sold...

RH77

Old 03-03-2007, 07:33 PM   #33
Supporting Member

RH77 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77 View Post
Woah! No way!

That should be on the bottle:

Endorsed by TheClencher

SEAFOAM!

Available where fine auto parts are sold...

RH77
I don't know.

I say, follow the donuts.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 08:54 PM   #34
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
I normally poo-poo additives and their miraculous claims but I like Seafoam. My Corvair sits for extended periods without being run and over the years had developed a sticky, ticky lifter. Dumped some Seafoam in the crankcase and she loosened right up.

i will agree to this, my s-10 has partially clogged lifters and when its cold the oil takes time to get up thru them again after sitting all night. usually sounds like popcorn but ever since i did seafoam it hasnt done it! i cant tell you the real truith yet because its been 70's here all week. sposta get down to a high of 40 somehitng saturday. ill try it then.

the way io did it was dump some in the crank case, go for a "spirited" drive (acting like nascar and going 65 on the highway and reving it up(shifting) to 4 k at every light /chance i got) then brought it back immediately changed the oil to get all the loosened /cleaned particles out. let it drain for a while, put the new oil in and filter and then ran it thru the brake booster vac line (makes the truck idle at 2000rpm) and then shut it off and started it again after 5 minutes like the can says. went on another spirited drive and truithfully it seemed to idle alot smoother when i came back home.

VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote