FE Team Challenge - discussion - Page 7 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2007, 11:23 AM   #61
Registered Member

Speed holes? That's one Simpsons reference I don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landspeed View Post
Edit - just read the previous posts.

Now I remember why you were giving out the secret advice
Ahem. Glad you did some re-reading.

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 11:42 AM   #62
*shrug*

You don't know the simpsons reference to speed holes? It's the one where he becomes a krusty and the mob tries to kill him. After shooting several holes in a car at the dealership, the dealer tells homer "They're speed holes, they make the car go faster." When Homer returns home, he puts some speed holes in his own car with a pick, until flanders is shot twice by the mob. They hit the pick with the third shot, but unfortunately only bought three bullets, and decide to grab homer...and it goes on.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 11:53 AM   #63
Registered Member

Sadly, I believe I missed that one. http://speedholes.com
Old 03-20-2007, 12:23 PM   #64
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpiloto View Post
---
Challenge results posted in this thread: FE Team Challenge: stats & current standings
---

With the upcoming FE season right around the corner MetroMPG and I decided to have a friendly FE competition. We took turns picking 4 other cars to compete against each other as a team. We will use the new EPA values and average the team % EPA to determine the winner. MetroMpg will be posting updates and results as the competition moves forward.

My team will be composed of:

Kyoto Camel too-Lug_Nut
The green machine-repete 86
Peugeot 405-BeeUU
Jetta Wagon-Brock.

MetroMPG team will be composed of:

DOHCtor Green MPG-Diamondlarry
90 Laser-DRW
Keeps on rolling'-basjoos
The Sable- ELF.

We will be starting the competition on Monday the 12th no real ending date we'll see how it goes. The rules are as Follows:

1. Must have at least one gaslog entry every 30 days.
2. Minimum fill must be 3 gallons.
3. Must record all fill ups.
4. There will be a 5% penalty to the team EPA for fills of less then 3 gallons or no fills with in 30 day.
5. Competition will be based on combined team % of EPA using the new numbers since that's what the Gaslogs will reflect.

We will be using new EPA numbers so go Here and make sure your numbers are correct. We'll post team %EPA in a couple of days to give everyone a chance to make sure theirs is correct in the Gaslog.

Winner get bragging right at GS and King for a day. Air up those tires and let the competition begin.

We have had request from another group to join the FE challenge. So we going to go ahead and open it up to anyone who wants to join in on a workload based limit. If you put together a team and want to join let me know.

COzx2 has put together a team to add to the competition. Everyone listed make sure your EPA numbers are correct. Metro will add you to the Results page before the Sunday update.

The Metro Experience - jwxr7 34.07%

Bluey - landspeed 62.27%

White Bread - omgwtfbyobbq 73.68%

The Egg - FormulaTwo 81.65%

Old Reliable - CO ZX2 157.2%
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 01:52 PM   #65
Registered Member

I'm going to post the new team info in the results thread this evening - with updated starting averages provided by CO.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:22 PM   #66
*shrug*

We should turn this into some sort of league competition with recruiting and all that kind of fun stuff,
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 03:56 PM   #67
Registered Member

I've been traveling for business and missed these tid-bits of FE advice when they were fresh, but I did get 45.5 mpg in the rental Accord.<edit: Oops, I rechecked the math with a calculator instead of the back of a receipt. Actual was even worse: 40.55 instead of 45.5. Dissapointing results in light of the conditions. end edit>

I've discovered that if I avoid turning left at the end of my drive I miss the 1/2 mile long, 3rd gear, up-hill start to my morning commute. If I instead turn right, I have a shorter, more gradual, less altitude change climb leading to a long downhill section. The engine is up to temp before the gradual climb back to the altitude where the two choices in route rejoin. The right turn route is almost 2 miles longer to my work, yet avoiding the high load with cold engine grunt climb to the left actually results in less fuel use despite the longer distance.
I still come home the shorter route as the fuel saving difference isn't there in that direction.
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 07:22 PM   #68
Registered Member

Thumbs up Fantasy Hypermiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
We should turn this into some sort of league competition with recruiting and all that kind of fun stuff,
Fantasy Hypermiling
Old 03-21-2007, 07:35 PM   #69
Tuggin at the surly bonds

Wow, there are some great FE tips in this thread.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:56 AM   #70
Registered Member

Now that we have opened it up for teams to join we will need to make a few changes. Since there is not a abundant of highly modified and 6 cylinders let's drop those requirements but keep the automatic and 4 door car in the team composition.

Also since we will be having teams and drivers coming and going we need to think of a way for scoring. Keeping in mind that it needs not to be so cumbersome that Metro has to spend all his time dealing with it. Metro will have the final say in this since he is doing the scoring.

If we reset the Team %EPA every 30 days then if a new team wants in they wont have to wait for an extended period of time before they can start.

This will also level the playing field every 30 days so that if someone joins the site comes in with a low %EPA then start modifing their car and starts getting big numbers they won't be accused of sandbagging.

Thoughts?

zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote