Cruise Control in Civic - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 07-13-2007, 10:59 AM   #11
Supporting Member

Yeah, It looks like I should be able to just plug it in. Apart from that I need to ad or change some parts I think. I'll look it over good before I even start with it and if it works out I'll put a DIY in the DIY category if someone else would be interested in it.

McPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 11:45 AM   #12
Registered Member

Does Rostra make a unit that would fit your car? If so, you might gain some insight by looking at how they handle things on your car.

Also, if you can use an OEM unit, it seems like that would be easiest.

Old 07-13-2007, 12:46 PM   #13
Registered Member

My VX has an aftermarket cruise control that works great. Luckily I didn't need to install it - one of the previous owners had the fun. The one I have is vacuum operated and is engaged by a cable on the gas pedal that goes through the firewall to the throttle cable. I needed to add a vacuum canister so that the cruise would stay steady during uphill climbs.

The OEM cruise control will require adding a cruise control module to the integrated control unit by the fuse box in addition to the other items needed. Too much work and expense if you ask me.

You are probably better off finding an ebay special. Unless you're not cheap like me!
jadziasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 12:52 PM   #14
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
The VX will not take an OEM cruise unit easily. Where the upshift light is, is the Cruise indicator on any other Civic.

A list of the parts you need:
Cruise control unit
Cruise control pedal assembly
Cruise dashboard switch
Cruise control steering wheel (or the cruise switch on the wheel)
Clock spring that uses cruise control (from any other Civic than a VX)
Actuator unit from under the hood.
Extra wiring to hook it all up since the wiring is NOT in the VX

I've thought about adding cruise to my VX before, but given the availabilty of Aftermarket cruise systems, it would be easier for a less electromechanically inclined person to get one of those and have someone install it.

But if you've got the gumption, there are many DIY threads on www.Honda-Tech.com to help you out and give you ideas.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 01:47 PM   #15
QDM
Registered Member

I just bought an Audiovox cruise control for my Swift for $89.99 and I noticed a sticker on the box saying "Not recommended for use on Honda vehicles". Doesn't say why. Using the Honda cruise is probably your best bet.

Q
QDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 03:12 PM   #16
Supporting Member

Ok, thanks for all the advice. It looks like it is not as easy as I hoped, so I will probably lay of it for now and read the threads on www.honda-tech.com untill I know what I am doing
McPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 03:20 PM   #17
Registered Member

If you do take your dash apart, be very careful removing the bezel. My new bezel should be here in a few days!