Radiator blocking drawback - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2009, 03:54 PM   #1
Registered Member

Radiator blocking drawback

Greetings!

Recently, I have blocked the radiator, totally, as the following pictures will tell. I used several pieces of cardboard.

The impact on fuel consumption was very positive, altought my last tank averaged less then the one preceding it. The explanation for that fact is that I didn't fill the last tank till the top, choosing to stop filling when listening the first "click" of the needle. Water temperature rose from 176 F to 196 F, keeping a steady value of 196 F when driving on flat ground and rising to 199 F when going up, quickly returning to 196 F after the climb. One problem arises due to the increase in temperature: I noticed that water pressure is too high, resulting in a constant leak in the point where one of the rubber tubes connects to the coolant tank. No matter how hard I tight the thing I haven't found translation for (pictured below) water just keeps leaking.

When too much water is gone the temperature of the remaining water rises close to 210 F, which I believe it is not nice. I would like to hear from you, what do you suggestt I should do? Is 196 F too much for the engine? Are there any risks?

I'm also thinking of installing an oil temperature gauge to keep a better control of the engine temperature.

Thanks for you attention.

KARR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 04:30 PM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
That is a "Hose Clamp" - remove the hose and clean inside and put the hose and hose clamp on again.

Make a small opening in the radiator to allow SOME cooling air to flow through the radiator - near the fan. Keep the coolent level full or you may boil over and damage the engine.

JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 04:39 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanGeo View Post
That is a "Hose Clamp" - remove the hose and clean inside and put the hose and hose clamp on again.

Make a small opening in the radiator to allow SOME cooling air to flow through the radiator - near the fan. Keep the coolent level full or you may boil over and damage the engine.
Thanks for your suggestion and for the translation as well.

Can you specify the point/place where the opening should be made?
Old 10-29-2009, 04:52 PM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
The opening should be in front of the radiator fan so when the fan turns on it will cool the radiator. Usually in the center of the radiator.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:10 PM   #5
Registered Member

196f is well within range. you need to fix your cooling system if it cant cope with a paltry 196F. My non grill blocked volvo s60 that I drive has seen temps of around 210F and corvettes I believe run at 230F, so that 196F really isn't that high. If your radiator is leaking, you need to fix the leak, period.
imzjustplayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:13 PM   #6
Site Team

Yeah, 196 (or 199) should be no problem at all for your cooling system. That is a totally normal temperature. Sounds like you might have a worn out hose, or possibly a few.

-BC
Old 10-29-2009, 11:50 PM   #7

Perhaps a new radiator cap is called for. I can't view those pictures so I may be completely wrong! But if the symptom is a leak at the expansion tank, it may be that.
markweatherill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 03:34 AM   #8
Site Team / Moderator

Arrow

Another thing to look for, is this may be the first sign of a failing head gasket. I'd start the car cold with the radiator cap off, and see if you can spot bubbles coming up through the coolant which could be a sign that you're getting exhaust gasses into the cooling system. In any event a tube of quality radiator stop leak (I recommend the powdered aluminum kind) would not hurt.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 08:57 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
Another thing to look for, is this may be the first sign of a failing head gasket. I'd start the car cold with the radiator cap off, and see if you can spot bubbles coming up through the coolant which could be a sign that you're getting exhaust gasses into the cooling system. In any event a tube of quality radiator stop leak (I recommend the powdered aluminum kind) would not hurt.
ive used that BAR-S kind before (2 part then mix as you pour) didnt clog the radiator and fixed the freeze plug leak

but it cant hurt to replace the hoses, thier like $6-7 a piece (upper and lower)
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 02:20 PM   #10
Registered Member

Requesting your opinion, once again

Here some pictures of the cooling system:

This is how the inside of the hose looked like, I cutted the edge because I thought water was passing through small openings in the rubber. I believe it was not the case...

And, whether the engine is cold or hot, the coolant tank will always look like this:

Quote:
Quote:
The opening should be in front of the radiator fan so when the fan turns on it will cool the radiator. Usually in the center of the radiator.
JanGeo, are any of the yellow spots a right place to make that opening?

Give your suggestions please.

Thanks once again.