Vaporizing Coleman Fuel - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 11-12-2005, 06:03 PM   #1
FE nut

Vaporizing Coleman Fuel

I found this sometime back. It's a post on Yahoo's supercarbs group talking about vaporizing Coleman's fuel and testing the run time on a lawnmower. I know there is another post that tells exactly how he made the pickle jar carb. I'll see if I can find that one.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/supercarbs/message/8625 Here is an excerpt from the post:

My lawnmower experiments showed that coleman fuel in the vapor pickle
jar carburetor runs 100% longer than pump gas. So what does that tell you?
(Norman's answer - its better gas than pump gas and it might be more like
Pogue's gas in the 1930s) And its also more expensive.

Norman

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 06:10 PM   #2
Driving on E

looks liek they require

looks liek they require membership to read it. Care to post the entire thing? Perhaps you can send me the article itself? I'd be happy to host it here.

Do we have any idea how much more expensive coleman's fuel is?

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 06:37 PM   #3
FE nut

I didn't think about the

I didn't think about the membership thing.:-( I looked for the article I was thinking of and can't seem to find it right now. He talked about how he hooked his vaporizer to his lawnmower and put pump gas in it and it ran 30% longer than with the stock carb on the same amount of fuel. He then put the same amount of Coleman fuel in and the mower ran 100% longer than the stock setup. It seems to me that the last time I lchecked on the price of Coleman's at Wmart, it was around $4/gallon. If you could make it go twice as far, thats only $2/gallon. I'll keep digging for that article.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
Old 11-12-2005, 06:49 PM   #4
*shrug*

Don't you already use a tad

Don't you already use a tad of coleman's in your saturn? The difference here is the vaporization, yes? I'm thinking this might be something to test once I get my 10$ water injection system set up. I could run coleman's instead of water or methanol, and get a good spray into the cylinders and that ought to work similarly to vaporizing it, yes?
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 07:13 PM   #5
FE nut

I'm not sure spraying it

I'm not sure spraying it would work as well as spraying. I still can't find the article I was looking for so I'll try to do it from memory. I think he used a pickle jar and poked 2 holes in the top. Then he put a 1/4" in copper line in each hole. One line went to within 1/4" or 1/8" from the bottom. The other line went just below the surface of the lid. He put Coleman's in until about half the jar was full. The line that was submerged went to the outside air and I believe he may have used a small valve to regulate the airflow. The other line that was just below the lid went to a vaccum line. As far as sealing the holes where the lines go through the lid, I would use gasline hose and shove it through the hole then use a hose clamp to hold the copper line.
As far as running Coleman's in my car, I stopped running everything when I started testing the PIB so I could see how well the PIB worked on it's own. I'm going to start testing some other stuff again soon.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
Old 11-12-2005, 07:17 PM   #6
*shrug*

Gotcha, yeah, I don't think

Gotcha, yeah, I don't think adding coleman's as a 1 to 20 or 1 to 10 mix through the injectors would work as well, but mehbe a bit of it mixed with other stuff in that manner could give some benefit, unless this pickle jar thing proves easy enough to do.
Old 11-12-2005, 07:22 PM   #7
FE nut

On another one of the

On another one of the forums, I saw an interesting mix for Coleman's. Since I'm everywhere ;-) I can't remember where it was but they suggested 3 ounces acetone and 1 ounce Coleman's/10 gallons of gasoline. Something about the two complimenting each other.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
Old 11-12-2005, 07:26 PM   #8
*shrug*

Yes, I've always thought

Yes, I've always thought about doing combinations, but I don't drive enough miles to fine tune this crap, I just want to try and flesh out a few that work well through brute force and then tweak at them for all time to get the best. Acetone kiiiillllllleeeedddd my car, and the muffler had a nasty bright orange rust that showed up at the tip and left when I stopped acetone, so I dunno about testing it any more, coleman's sounds good though, mehbe after mothballs.
Old 03-19-2006, 10:24 AM   #9
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to n0rt0npr0
everyone and especially

everyone and especially Larry...

I have the correct amounts figured for acetone and colemans fuel into 200ml of gasoline. While I am testing today, should I utilize this time to test this mixture inside the mower?

I have everything I need to do this.
Old 03-19-2006, 12:58 PM   #10
FE nut

I hope I'm not too late with

I hope I'm not too late with this response, but yes, that would be an interesting test. Since it would take a LONG time for me to empty out my tank of all the stuff that's in there. It would be nice to know if it really works or not. I'm all for accuracy even if the results aren't what I would expect.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn