CRX HF Transmission Rebuild - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 01-02-2006, 04:53 AM   #1

CRX HF Transmission Rebuild

Well, I got the 10-Ton bearing puller/pusher set for Christmas that I've been lusting over, so now I can start the rebuild on my HF transmission and complete the 5-speed conversion on my 4-Door DX. I'll document the project in this thread. Here's a teaser picture:

GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 09:29 AM   #2
*shrug*

You're amazing! Guess what

You're amazing! Guess what guess what!!! I just put my manual pedals in using your write up, took like 9 hours cuz I kept messing up, but I got it done, woo! I love you for writing that. try www.filefarmer.com for free hosting, 3 gigs, it's what I use.

Also, thanks a lot for this thread, I want to rebuild the free hf tranny that I got, and I've got lots of internal tranny questions also.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 10:23 AM   #3
Driving on E

Now tell me, how needed is a

Now tell me, how needed is a tranny rebuild for a HF tranny?

The on I have sitting in the garage is a 1990 HF tranny with 160k miles. I was considering rebuilding it, but then someone pointed out to me that 1) It would cost a few hundred dollars, and 2) it probably doesn't need it because people generally do not drive HF transmissions too hard.

I'm seriously wondering if I need to rebulid it or not. Doing it myself would be an option, but I really dont' have the time for it.

<--perplexed
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 10:40 AM   #4

I don't know the mileage on

I don't know the mileage on mine, but I want to rebuild it for comfort. I decided to NOT replace the synchros, as this would add about $250 to the cost of the rebuild. I am going to replace all ball-bearings [not the needle bearings] and rubber on the transmission. This tranny sat outside with no speed sensor in it for a while, and when I cracked it open, about 0.5L of water came out. If you look at the picture closely, you can see some surface rust on some of the components. Luckily, all the internals had SOME oil on them so the rust wipes right off. Also, bearings in a transmission are not as subject to how hard a person drives the car as the synchros are - bearings wear out from regular use, whether it was driven hard or not. This is why I have decided to not replace the synchros.

SVO - glad you got the pedals in. What part did you keep messing up on? Was there anything unclear in my writeup that I could make better? Sorry I don't have an pictures of the tranny disassembly - I'll try to take detailed pictures of the reassembly and post them in reverse order as a disassembly guide. Of course I'll also take pictures of the rebuild.

Switched to FileFarmer. Thanks for the suggestion SVO!
Old 01-02-2006, 11:29 AM   #5
Driving on E

Re: I don't know the mileage on

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaX
Switched to FileFarmer. Thanks for the suggestion SVO!
BTW, WTDR might be supported now. I emailed the admin and asked for them to add us.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:36 AM   #6

Re: I don't know the mileage on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion
BTW, WTDR might be supported now. I emailed the admin and asked for them to add us.

Yep! Now the picture in my pulsejet thread is showing up!
Old 01-04-2006, 04:53 AM   #7

Just purchased all my tranny

Just purchased all my tranny rebuild parts...now I patiently wait for them to arrive.
Old 01-12-2006, 05:00 AM   #8

All my parts came in

All my parts came in yesterday! I would go ahead and get started on the build this weekend, but my brother's 97 Civic bombed its transmission, so I'll be putting a new one of those in Saturday morning and Sunday morning. Saturday night is the Superbowl of Motorsports [monster truck show]!!!
Old 01-12-2006, 12:42 PM   #9
Registered Member

Nice build, but I'd never do

Nice build, but I'd never do it on my car. I have no tools and I have the most economical tranny that was built for my car.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 01:02 PM   #10
Driving on E

Re: Nice build, but I'd never do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compaq888
Nice build, but I'd never do it on my car. I have no tools and I have the most economical tranny that was built for my car.
But do you have the most economical tranny that fits your car? The HF transmission isnt' designed for our cars, but it fits. Maybe a sentra transmission has longer gears and fits in your car. It might rob a little power, but will save you $$$ in the long run.