Need some job advice - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-22-2006, 10:33 PM   #1
Registered Member

Need some job advice

I know some of you work at home. I'd like to have that option too. But the problem is most of those jobs require selling. There are some jobs that working at home doesn't require selling what are they called and do they need degrees or something else. First I want to look for a job to work at home since it will be convinient and I won't have to use my car.

I also don't want to invest any money, because most investment jobs are like pyramid schemes.

If I can't get a job at home then I need to look for employment elsewhere, here is a list I compiled so far where I will apply. Tell me what you think and where else I should apply.

AMC, CompUSA, Best Buy, Target, Circuit City

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 10:38 PM   #2
Driving on E

I work as an engineer of sorts. I calculate how much dirt is to be moved on construction jobs. I also build three dimensional models of construction sites to be used on GPS guided machines.

You could always be a programmer or something.

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 10:45 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion
I work as an engineer of sorts. I calculate how much dirt is to be moved on construction jobs. I also build three dimensional models of construction sites to be used on GPS guided machines.

You could always be a programmer or something.
My uncle has 2 degrees so far. 1 Mechinist, 2 is computer programmer. He said Mechinist is in demand but the job kills your health. I already have limited health. 2. Computer programmers are not much in demand anymore. There is way more programmers than the jobs available.

I have about 4-4.5 years left till I finish my major. In the meantime I was thinking of picking up a couple of degrees for various medical stuff and while doing that working a job at home, or maybe a part time job in the real world. I have one more semester in the fall and I have to wait in line for 2 years to get into the program. Then another 2 years to complete the program.

Old 05-22-2006, 10:49 PM   #4
Driving on E

I know that some agencies will hire proof readers to work from home. I know one person who reads legal documents and enters keywords from the documents into a searchable database for the law firm.

I think without any specific training data entry is a very doable job from home.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:51 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
I know that some agencies will hire proof readers to work from home. I know one person who reads legal documents and enters keywords from the documents into a searchable database for the law firm.

I think without any specific training data entry is a very doable job from home.
is it kind of a job agency that hires temps people and the employer decides if they stay after 90 days, or something like that?

Old 05-22-2006, 11:05 PM   #6
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compaq888
is it kind of a job agency that hires temps people and the employer decides if they stay after 90 days, or something like that?
no, it's not a temp agency. It's a law firm that hires people to do exactly what I just described.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:20 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
no, it's not a temp agency. It's a law firm that hires people to do exactly what I just described.
oh, that's an interesting job.

Old 05-23-2006, 07:45 AM   #8
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
Quote:
Computer programmers are not much in demand anymore. There is way more programmers than the jobs available.
where are you getting this from? the problem with programmers is that they are treated as a commodity, not as personalities. it seems like its on its way to becoming a blue collar job. but i still disagree with you, there are plenty of software development jobs, they are all for experience programers though, nothing for your college grad. it also depends on where you are looking to get a job. you go to the philly or ny metro areas and there are software firms all over the place seeking to sign contracts, but they all want someone with over 2 years experience.

i have a degree in computer science and i am currently job hunting
Quote:
I have about 4-4.5 years left till I finish my major. In the meantime I was thinking of picking up a couple of degrees for various medical stuff and while doing that working a job at home, or maybe a part time job in the real world. I have one more semester in the fall and I have to wait in line for 2 years to get into the program. Then another 2 years to complete the program.
whats your degree? bro how old are you?

the best advice i can give: internships, paid or unpaid, go a VERY long way in furthering your education and in job hunting.

OT: matt your job sounds awesome
Old 05-23-2006, 08:49 AM   #9
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Jobs you can do from home.

Open a web based Hypermilling driving school.

Write a book about it - using all the information you have gathered on line.

Develop a product that saves gas and increases gas mileage and sell the rights to it for big $$$.

Setup systems that convert grass clippings into biogas for cars and sell plans for building a kit to make our own at home.

Short version of my life . . . high school then college for 6 years then taught in college for a few years then out into the electrical engineer field programming and building microprocessor based communications equipment. Retired at 30 years old over worked and burned out for a while. Worked at a motorcycle accessories shop behind the counter and started programming my first point of sales system for the shop. Started hanging out at a local computer store in Newport then delivered a computer to PA where I stayed for a month programming it for inventory control and Point of Sale for a motorcycle importer/mail order parts distributor. Been visiting him ever since several times a year to update the software. Came back and started my own computer consulting, sales and service business in July 1987 and have been in the same place to this day. About 5 years ago started researching Electric Scooters and started building some of my own. Spend way too much time in yahoo groups not making any money gathering information and trying to solve other peoples problems.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 01:26 PM   #10
Registered Member

My degree is a Radiologist. The person that takes x-rays. I'm also going to go for MRI, Mammogram.

I'm old enough to legally get drunk.