VX Rims, 4th time is the charm.... - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2007, 08:01 AM   #1
Registered Member

VX Rims, 4th time is the charm....

My brother who lives out in CA is being nice enough to go and (hopefully) pick up 4 VX rims with tires for me.

I've had three deals that fell through in the last couple of months, 2 guys decided to keep theirs and 1 guy flaked after I drove 4 hours to meet him.

Keep your fingers crossed for me.

---===EDIT===---

Well I got them! they all look awesome aside from the crappy paint job. Did notice one thing when my brother sent me some pictures though......

Let me know what you guys think. It still holds air, would it be OK to put on my car as-is?

UfoTofU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 04:07 PM   #2
ELF
Registered Member

Tire looks ok for dry weather, I'd be careful in wet weather though.

Old 01-07-2007, 06:28 PM   #3
Registered Member

Bent wheel.

I have straightened rim lips using a block of aluminum and hammer. First grind the block to conform to the lip on a good part of the rim. Try to stay off the edge and take it slow. I'd say you could help it quite a lot without dismounting the tire. After staightening stick it on the car and spin it and eyeball for runout. You can spin a good one to get a comparison. I would use it only on the rear.

What is the weight of one of these wheels. I have heard 5-7 lbs.
CO ZX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 06:55 AM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
The weight of the VX rims were 9.75 lbs IIRC. And congrats on finally getting a set of VX rims, UfoTofU!

Safest, but not the cheapest, way to straighten out that rims would be to bring it to a tire shop that deals with that sort of thing. I can't look at the full size pics at work so I don't know exactly how bad it is. But it could be pounded out gently using the above described method as well.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:38 AM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
I would be extreamly warry of "fixing" an alloy rim, as aluminum will crack if you bend it to many times, so if the dent is not causing you problems, leave it alone or you might just brake a chunk off.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 03:25 PM   #6
Registered Member

Decided to go ahead and replace the bent rim with a new used one. My brother again helped me track down another pair and went and picked them up for me. No pics yet but I do have a couple of the set so far including the bent rim (#3 see pics below).

Rims are in excellent shape. I dunno what I am going to do about the color though. I think that I want to paint them black.

Old 01-15-2007, 08:12 PM   #7
Registered Member

don't paint them, easier to sell them to me if you don't
white90crxhf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 05:19 AM   #8
Registered Member

Hey UfoTofU, You dont happen to want to sell me the center cap out of your bent one do you? I got my car with just 3 and need a 4th? Let me know, Thanks, Jack

https://www.cardomain.com/ride/2452824

GasSavers_Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 07:29 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Hey UfoTofU, You dont happen to want to sell me the center cap out of your bent one do you? I got my car with just 3 and need a 4th? Let me know, Thanks, Jack
Jack,

I'd do that. got to work it out with my brother if maybe he would be willing to send it out to you from there or if he wants to twiat and send everything to me and then I ship to you.

I will let you know.

Old 01-16-2007, 07:33 AM   #10
Registered Member

Here is the other set my bro found to replace the bent one in the first post on this page. This whole ordeal of finding a good set is getting a little bit spendy.

He actually has 2 so far and the guy is throwing in a 3rd later in the week. Pretty damn good deal.

This is the better of the two as far as curbage. The finish is pretty beat though.

This one has a couple of curb marks.

And a shot with a Quarter for size comparison.

Differences in color due to lighting.