Hi. New shift in goals... - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 01-07-2007, 05:18 PM   #1

Hi. New shift in goals...

Hi, I'm a kind of new to GasSavers... Been browsing the forums for awhile and just recently picked up a daily driver help save some money on gas. It's a 97 4 door civic which I've been able to average roughly 33-34 mpg...

I've always been about peformance cars as an enthusiast, and I feel that I've already accomplished that with my weekend warrior and now I want to focus a little bit more on improving FE in my daily driver while keeping it fairly clean looking.

Sadly, my input shaft bearing is starting to make an intermitent whirring noise this past week (which seems to be common on hondas) and clutch chatter in the morning is becoming a tiny bit of an annoyance... So I am looking at the opportunity at picking up a 92-95 CX/VX transmission (hopefully )...

Any thoughts as to the driveability and possible FE gains/loss with the longer gears in a heavier 4-door? Everyone in my area seems to always be in a rush where posted limit is ignored and the traffic flow is usually upwards of 20 over the limit...

Dagul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 05:42 PM   #2
Registered Member

Dagul. Wecome to GasSavers. I too was a performance nut most of my life. Drag racer. Even then I was interested in economy for the tow vehicle. More to spend on the race car. You will get some good advice from Honda experts here. Almost always taller gearing is of benefit for FE. My suggestion for traffic, just drive in the right lane and find a truck or slower vehicle to follow. Higher speeds are a killer for FE. Took me a long time to get used to that.

CO ZX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 10:36 PM   #3
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagul
Any thoughts as to the driveability and possible FE gains/loss with the longer gears in a heavier 4-door? Everyone in my area seems to always be in a rush where posted limit is ignored and the traffic flow is usually upwards of 20 over the limit...
I really don't think it will be much of a problem. The Civic HX had a similar, if not identical transmission.

Sure, they were designed for lighter cars, but they were also designed for lighter cars able to haul one driver and four friends around as well (8 friends if you're in high school and like to "live on the edge").

I think you won't even notice much of a difference in how it drives. You will, however, notice a difference in how much gas you save
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 01:22 AM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to The Toecutter
Quote:
Sure, they were designed for lighter cars, but they were also designed for lighter cars able to haul one driver and four friends around as well (8 friends if you're in high school and like to "live on the edge").
Reminds me of the time I had 12 people(10 of them stoned/drunk) shoved into the Sidekick, before it got a tuneup last month. Oh the humanity...
The Toecutter is offline   Reply With Quote