Miss matched tires - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 02-16-2007, 05:08 AM   #1
Registered Member

Miss matched tires

I just notice that I have a miss matched set of tires. The fronts are 185/65/14 with max pressure of 35 psi and the rear are 185/60/14 with 44 psi max. I'm thinking that I need to switch that around and have the smaller higher psi tires in the front for aero and rolling resistance. I dought that there would be much difference but want to here the groups thoughts?

zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 05:14 AM   #2
Registered Member

I don't think it makes much of a difference economy wise, but I generally put the higher pressure tires in front since that's where most of the weight/wear is, and the lower pressure tires that I'm inflating to 15-20psi above sidewall go in back. More for safety than anything else.

omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 08:44 AM   #3
Registered Member

Since both the Kia and Toyota are small FWD with a forward weight bias, I'd put the deeper tread tires on the rear.
The greater weight on the front will reduce the hydroplaning tendency while the lighter rear will benefit from the deeper tread reducing the same tendency at that end.
If both sizes have about equally deep tread, then the smaller of the two pair on the front will drop the nose for marginally better aerodynamics. Only about 3/8 inch difference in axle height with the 185-60 ~ 65 sizes mentioned.
As a benefit in your case the smaller ones for the front have a higher max pressure rating.
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 10:04 AM   #4
Registered Member

Have you factored in the slight gearing advantage with the taller tires on front?

Never any simple answers, eh?
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 12:40 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Have you factored in the slight gearing advantage with the taller tires on front?

Never any simple answers, eh?
Kind of though of that but could not figure out if it really matters if it's on the front or the back? I guess the only way to know for sure is test and that too much of a hassle with the make shift wheel skirts. I've got some moon discs coming I'll swap um around after that. I think I want the higher pressure in the front.
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote