Hello from Finnish Gas Saver - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 03-27-2007, 02:39 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello from Finnish Gas Saver

Hello all, just joined Gassavers and though it is time to present our vehicle, 1985 Mercedes Benz 240D, it's considered a large vehicle here.

We bought this pearl one and a half year ago when the Toyota gave up and my wife wanted a Mercedes, and the color was just right.

It started out at 29mpg but soon went down to 25mpg due to fuel leaks from the tank and from the engine. After this was fixed the summer mpg has been around 33 and winter around 29.

My commute is mostly highway doing around 100km/h thats 60mph. I always has to restrain myself to not go with the speed limit of 120km/h (74mph) wasting fuel.

I'm planning to have the steering fixed, it's quite loose, and make the necessary repairs required by the yearly inspections. I'm also finding ideas at gassavers, like a grill cover, that I will try out if I can find time for it.

Simon

Handy gas mileage and automotive calculators at MilesGallon.com lets you find out the real mpg of your vehicle, calculate the fuel consumption and cost for a trip and how about a tool that gives you the total cost per mile for a specifice vehicle over its lifetime.

milesgallon.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 02:58 AM   #2
Supporting Member

Send a message via Yahoo to OdieTurbo
Hello Simon! Welcome to the site! I'm fairly new here myself. Everyone's been great so far and there is lot's of information to be found!

Old 03-27-2007, 03:32 AM   #3
Registered Member

Official Welcome

An official Welcome to you

Finland seems to be a popular spot for GasSavers -- I believe there are a few others here.

We look forward to your point of view on fuel and gas/diesel efficiency.

RH77
Old 03-27-2007, 03:50 AM   #4
Registered Member

With a gas cost of $6/gallon and rising you have to think about fuel efficiency
Handy gas mileage and automotive calculators at MilesGallon.com lets you find out the real mpg of your vehicle, calculate the fuel consumption and cost for a trip and how about a tool that gives you the total cost per mile for a specifice vehicle over its lifetime.

Old 03-27-2007, 06:17 AM   #5
Driving on E

Hi Simon! Soon the new version of the garage/gaslog will be up and you will be able to track your fuel in liters and kilometers.

Welcome to the site
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 06:34 AM   #6
Registered Member

Thanks,

It will be great to be able to use liters and kilometers, it's a pain to convert everything.

Simon

Old 03-27-2007, 10:38 AM   #7
Supporting Member

Hi Simon -

Welcome to the site! I want all the diversity I can get. Different drivertrains => more knowledge!

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 11:04 AM   #8
Registered Member

Hello and thanks CarloSW2

I'm hoping to get an idea or two from gassavers on getting that MB down to under 7L/100km in summer and under 8L/100km in winter.

It should be possible with a diesel even though it's a bit old and the car isn't exactly designed for top aerodynamic perfomance. (The Mercedes star in front isn't exactly useful but it's part of the soul of the car so I can't make myself remove it

Simon

Old 03-27-2007, 11:33 AM   #9
Supporting Member

Simon -

Quote:
Originally Posted by milesgallon.com View Post
Hello and thanks CarloSW2

I'm hoping to get an idea or two from gassavers on getting that MB down to under 7L/100km in summer and under 8L/100km in winter.

It should be possible with a diesel even though it's a bit old and the car isn't exactly designed for top aerodynamic perfomance. (The Mercedes star in front isn't exactly useful but it's part of the soul of the car so I can't make myself remove it

Simon
Someday maybe they will make a lightweight hologram generator (solar powered!), and you can use that instead .

EDIT : Orrrrrrrr, make it into a tiny 3 blade windmill and use it generate a little wind power for your electrical system.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 05:45 PM   #10
Supporting Member

welcome to the site hope u get as hooked as me