Instant Fuel Economy Gauge on OBD1? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-08-2007, 04:30 AM   #1
Registered Member

Instant Fuel Economy Gauge on OBD1?

Is there a ScanGauge type device for showing fuel economy but for OBD1 ECUs?

Old 04-08-2007, 05:31 AM   #2
Registered Member

I asked the same question yesterday on "The VX For Sale" thread, although I haven't found SVO Boy's DIY install guide that he mentioned:

"Where can a new SuperMid be purchased and how much do they cost brand new? And does it connect directly to an OBD port under the steering column like the Scan Gauge does to post-1996 vehicle OBDII ports? I'd love to get one for my '95 Civic DX h/b."

"You can get them from Yoshi on this site, check out my DIY in the DIY section for an install guide."

Old 04-08-2007, 05:45 AM   #3
Registered Member

Found the installation thread:

http://www.gassavers.org/showthread....D+installation
Old 04-08-2007, 08:05 AM   #4
*shrug*

The superMID is a wonderful device, and yoshi just posted to say there were more available, so get them while you can.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 08:41 AM   #5
Registered Member

Anyone know if that'll work properly with a 92 Integra LS? Like, any problems with the VSS? It's not worth it if I have to do anything other than wire up the device. It's an auto so there doesn't seem to be a whole lot I can do with it and no matter how easy I drive it I can't manage any higher than 25 MPG, 95% highway, and when I beat on it I only drop down to about 23.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:50 AM   #6
*shrug*

There is something wrong with your car if you are only getting 25 mpg...

Anyway, is the 92 the da? Does it have a mechanical vss?
Old 04-08-2007, 09:04 AM   #7
Registered Member

Yeah, it's DA. I don't know about the VSS, I google'd around and didn't find anything. I don't know what's wrong with the car, if anything. It runs great, never gives me any issues and flyes when you give want it to, a lot of power for a car like this. EPA estimates are 26 combined for this, so I'm not that far off. I'm going to try 5w-20 or 30 when I change my oil and see what happens. The car has 176k miles on it.

Right now I'm running ~40 PSI on the tires and they're rated for 35 MAX. I'm going to top my tank off today and run it down at least half way and check my mileage again.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:22 AM   #8
*shrug*

I guess the DA might be different, but I know the DC is capable of easily attaining much better mileage.

Anyway, take the hood off you cluster and see if there is a fat cable running to the back of your speedo. Or you can look for the vss in the tranny and see if it has a big cable running out of it or if it has wires.

You can convert to electronic if you want, it's not too hard. Don't know about getting the right vss for b series though.

Anyway, good luck.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:27 AM   #9
Registered Member

I think the reason my last fill up resulted in so low was the fact that I was trying too hard to get better mileage.. I was accelerated very slowly and with the automatic tranny it was spending too much time in a high RPM range for the speed resulting in it just sucking fuel like crazy. I'm going to try accelerating a little faster and see how it turns out. I'm going to top my tank off at work tonight (I work at a gas station) and see how it goes from there.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:55 AM   #10
Driving on E

I think that all of Honda's obd1 vehicles use the electronic VSS. If so it will be a direct plug-n-play install.

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote