installed electric fan..... - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2007, 01:10 PM   #1
Registered Member

installed electric fan.....

I completely removed my A/C system. It had a 12" electric fan.

BAM I had an idea!

I bought a 185 degree fan controler at Advanced auto parts for $27 and wired it up to the fan. Bought the nylon kit to install the fan to the front of the radiator.

Removed the stock fan from the water pump and put everything back together.

4 hours later VOLA! I'm now sporting an electric fan.

Tested it and it works perfect.

Now, to the good part. MPG.....I hope they will improve!

Anybody else do this? Did you see better MPG?

Old 04-28-2007, 01:15 PM   #2
*shrug*

Sweet mod, I know a few have done it but no numbers, I'm sure there will be an improvement, even if it is hard to see!

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 02:29 PM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_Red
I've done it to mine. On the highway there wasn't a difference, but I picked up a bit more pep at low RPMS 1000-1300, and a MPG or two more.
Old 04-29-2007, 04:24 PM   #4
Registered Member

Any updates?

I have a 1991 Mercedes 190e that has 2 electric fans on the front and a mechanical (w/clutch). I noticed that only one is used for the A/C and the other kicks on when the temp gets up around 90C (typical seems to be about 82C).

Have you noticed any improvements? I was thinking about removing my mechanical fan and doing a similar mod using one or both of the electrics.

Any thoughts?

McIntyre's First Law: "Under the right circumstances, anything I tell you may be wrong."

O'Brien's First Corollary to McIntyre's First Law: "I don't know what the right circumstances are, either."

rvanengen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 05:00 PM   #5
Registered Member

Hey brelandt - nice work. I do believe jdham137 has done the electric fan mod on his truck.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 06:06 PM   #6
Registered Member

Ooops...don't mean to step on the original thread...my 'title' didn't really say it correctly. :-)

Have you seen any improvements?? I was thinking of doing much the same. Does anyone have a good rule of thumb for the amount of power consumed by a mechanical fan?

McIntyre's First Law: "Under the right circumstances, anything I tell you may be wrong."

O'Brien's First Corollary to McIntyre's First Law: "I don't know what the right circumstances are, either."

rvanengen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 02:24 AM   #7
Registered Member

Yeah, I did the mod but I screwed up my testing. I was so eager to get it installed that I didn't do a proper before and after. It seems like I gained an mpg or two. I do mostly low speed city driving. My truck does warm up faster though.

John
Old 04-30-2007, 02:22 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvanengen View Post
Ooops...don't mean to step on the original thread...my 'title' didn't really say it correctly. :-)

Have you seen any improvements?? I was thinking of doing much the same. Does anyone have a good rule of thumb for the amount of power consumed by a mechanical fan?
Not yet....To early to tell.

2 big side effects for me so far.

#1 is power! I can feel it. Didn't think I could and it's not much but on a engine with 70hp to start off with I can feel it.

#2 is how much quieter the engine is. No fan spinning all the time to make a huge whooshing sound.

So far I love this mod.

Super easy to do.

Not sure how much power the fan drains, but since my t-stat is 180 and the fan doesn't even kick on to 185 it hardly runs. Even in hot heavy traffic after 5 minutes the t-stat opened and the temp dropped before the fan kicked. So it rarely is used. When I tested it after the install it only took 2 minutes to get the temp down to the 165 kick off temp. This is in 88 degree 100% humidty in New Orleans.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:39 AM   #9
Registered Member

yup i did this to my s-10 and what a difference in power(not much but noticeable) and it makes it alot quieter. also increased the throttle response. ive noticed its given my truck a good 2 mpg improvement. in the winter my efan never really kicked on cuz of the moving air thru the radiator kept it cool enough. at highway speeds if your car gets enough moving air thru the radiator you dont need a fan at all.

VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote