Terrapass anyone - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-27-2007, 12:12 PM   #1
Supporting Member

Terrapass anyone

How do you people feel about the whole Terrapass system? Just for fun I had them calculate how much Co2 I would be emitting driving 20K a year which turned out to be 7,591 lbs a year.

They do have a cool bumper sticker:

Calculate your emissions and read more here:

http://www.terrapass.com/road/index.html

McPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 02:55 PM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_Red
Yeah, the thought "Why bother?" comes to mine....

Vehicle:
2001 Jeep Wrangler 4WD manual transmission
Mileage:
19 mpg (city), 20 mpg (highway)
Distance:
12,000 miles per year
Fuel use:
615 gallons per year
Emissions:
12,032 lbs CO2 per year

Old 06-27-2007, 05:45 PM   #3
Stay true to the Game!

Sounds like a waste. Why not use the money and buy green power from the power company.

popimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 07:22 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPatrick View Post
How do you people feel about the whole Terrapass system? Just for fun I had them calculate how much Co2 I would be emitting driving 20K a year which turned out to be 7,591 lbs a year.

They do have a cool bumper sticker:

Calculate your emissions and read more here:

http://www.terrapass.com/road/index.html
I'm looking into it. I think it's a good idea. Here's a previous thread on it. There's a link to a pretty interesting article. Terrapass didn't make the cut for the 30 top offset groups.

Quote from the article
"One key question revolves around something called "additionality." Emissions reductions are "additional" if they would not have otherwise occurred -- that is, if an emissions reduction is not "business as usual." But not everyone agrees on what that means, and it's proven exceedingly difficult to create a standard measure of what's "additional." And therein lies one of the controversies.

So with that in mind that the money goes to reduce emissions that would not have otherwised occurred. I think it a great idea. Right now there is a problem with transparancy which is in the process of being worked out. But It's something that I am considering. It just going to take a lot of research.
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 07:39 PM   #5
Supporting Member

CarloSW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpiloto View Post
I'm looking into it. I think it's a good idea. Here's a previous thread on it. There's a link to a pretty interesting article. Terrapass didn't make the cut for the 30 top offset groups.

Quote from the article
"One key question revolves around something called "additionality." Emissions reductions are "additional" if they would not have otherwise occurred -- that is, if an emissions reduction is not "business as usual." But not everyone agrees on what that means, and it's proven exceedingly difficult to create a standard measure of what's "additional." And therein lies one of the controversies.

So with that in mind that the money goes to reduce emissions that would not have otherwised occurred. I think it a great idea. Right now there is a problem with transparancy which is in the process of being worked out. But It's something that I am considering. It just going to take a lot of research.
Yeah, as along as I have a good idea where the money is going, then I am in favor of it. It also serves as a mechanism to increase awareness. If someone looks at my car, they will see that I am at least trying to do something about it.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 04:38 AM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Raccoonjoe Send a message via MSN to Raccoonjoe Send a message via Yahoo to Raccoonjoe
Personally?? I think that the idea that CO2 emissions are directly responsible for causing/worsening global warming is a load of BS. I believe that the Earth and atmosphere will be just fine if we continue as we are now....and that they will continue to be OK long after we leave. The oil situation is a little different tho......

I'm just on here for personal benefit. I'm broke, so higher MPG = less $$ at the pump.

*An excellent book on the subject....It's good to see an author take the time to actually research the topic and cite his sources.....
http://www.amazon.com/State-Fear-Mic...3034222&sr=1-1
Old 06-28-2007, 05:13 AM   #7
Registered Member

The Earth is certainly able to "heal" itself and there are processes in place to keep things over all at a "steady" medium. The problem is as humans have so dramatically altered the systems that "steady" the Earth that I don't think recover on it's own will be possible.

I think there is a big mis-understanding by the general public about global warming and melting of the ice caps. But none the less whatever it takes to get people concerned.

I think the biggest problem is, What if your wrong? It's better to be safe than sorry. I think your train of thought is like driving w/o a seatbelt. I haven't "needed" it since I started driving so hence I don't need it? Heck no, better safe than sorry and take every precaution, because tommorow could be the day the balance slips the other way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoonjoe View Post
Personally?? I think that the idea that CO2 emissions are directly responsible for causing/worsening global warming is a load of BS. I believe that the Earth and atmosphere will be just fine if we continue as we are now....and that they will continue to be OK long after we leave. The oil situation is a little different tho......

I'm just on here for personal benefit. I'm broke, so higher MPG = less $$ at the pump.

*An excellent book on the subject....It's good to see an author take the time to actually research the topic and cite his sources.....
http://www.amazon.com/State-Fear-Mic...3034222&sr=1-1

bbgobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 05:51 AM   #8
Registered Member

At 45 mpg, and 12,000 miles per year, mostly to and from work, I use 267gallons of fuel, and emissions are 5224 lbs of CO2 per year. More than I like.
In May I joined TerraPass with the Around Towner TerraPass, which has 6000 lbs CO2 offset.
GasSavers_roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 04:38 PM   #9
Supporting Member

Hello -

This one allows me to enter my GasSaver MPG, so I think it is closer to the actual CO2 I am emitting :

http://www.driveneutral.org/calculator

However, I can't comment on how legit it is.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 06:54 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
Hello -

This one allows me to enter my GasSaver MPG, so I think it is closer to the actual CO2 I am emitting :

http://www.driveneutral.org/calculator

However, I can't comment on how legit it is.

CarloSW2
You can calculate your own Co2 just multiply your yearly gallons burned times 19.4. divide by 2000 and that will give you the tons a year then look and see what packages they offer. Here's a thread.

zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote