Muffler question? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 08-02-2007, 03:43 PM   #1
Registered Member

Muffler question?

I was thinking of getting a new high flow / least restrictive muffler. I was wondering if this would help with MPG and if so how much. Then I was concerned about emissions problems or meeting code. The last and final questions is : what would be the best muffler that isn't too LOUD.

I have a scion xb - i currently average 38MPG but recently getting 41MPG

Thanks in advance for info or comments

Old 08-02-2007, 03:52 PM   #2
Supporting Member

idk it depends on our truck it is a lot harder to focus on good mpg when your hear that exhaust start to growl you just want to hammer it harder. If you have the self control to not floor it then it might help a little.

Old 08-02-2007, 04:23 PM   #3
Registered Member

Exhaust Research

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey4mnhs View Post
idk it depends on our truck it is a lot harder to focus on good mpg when your hear that exhaust start to growl you just want to hammer it harder. If you have the self control to not floor it then it might help a little.
Definitely that, but also -- you should probably inspect the entire exhaust system design from the header on back to do it right.

Exhaust Thread. Take a look at the Team-Integra link quoted in the last post (discusses backpressure, diameter and muffler choice). The info should apply to most makes/models.

For the hypermiler, torque is key.

-Rick
Old 08-02-2007, 04:42 PM   #4
Registered Member

Prolly not.
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 04:53 PM   #5

Honestly Coaster, You are not going to affect your emissions by replacing only the muffler . With the rest of the OE sized exhaust/cat convertor still in place a muffler replacement will prolly only change the 'tone' of the system. Get a good quality s/s turbo or straight thru muffler with the OEM sized inlet/outlet and be happy with a subtle change . If you want to plus size the outlet and run a resonated exhaust tip even better still. Nice and Deep and not loud. As far as looking for FE changes from a muffler swap alone, it will be miniscule at best /worst.

Try here for help : http://www.b-segment.com/forums/index.php
MnFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 06:10 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastertoasterxb View Post
I was thinking of getting a new high flow / least restrictive muffler. I was wondering if this would help with MPG and if so how much. Then I was concerned about emissions problems or meeting code. The last and final questions is : what would be the best muffler that isn't too LOUD.

I have a scion xb - i currently average 38MPG but recently getting 41MPG

Thanks in advance for info or comments
I got a intake, and a muffler long ago, and when driving hard, it did make a difference. Better MPG with my foot in it for sure, a few more miles per tank anyways. nothing stellar. I dont think it would make much difference now, but I like my big @$$ fart cannon. (check my garage pics). The one I just got is really quiet, but I have "Cat -> Resonator -> Muffler" the muffler doesn't do much, but its not very loud without it either. 41 in an XB(ox) sounds really good. I wonder how good a MT TC would do? I am looking at a new(er) carrhere soon. So far my choices are:

Civic (maybe SI)
Yaris
TC
Prius

I want a little "cool" factor, and to be able to get nutz at least once per tank...