high mph then glide - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 08-04-2007, 05:17 PM   #1
Registered Member

high mph then glide

Has anybody try like for example. Your cruising along you hit lets say 70 mph. Then glide for as long as you can till you hit like lets say 45 mph then accelerate back up to 65 mph or 70 mph then glide some more. This would I guess induce less time on the pedal. The only time you would be on the pedal would be to accelerate back up. I know on some good flat surfaces you can glide for quite a while. If at high enough speeds. I guess sort of in spurts I wonder if this would be effective anybody with scanguage to find out. It be sorta like what you do on hills. Except doing it all the time.

bfg9000d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 05:47 PM   #2
Registered Member

it's caleld pulse and glide. well known and used by hypermilers.

Checdk ou the general forum and there are 2 threads there that you should check out. have all kindfs of tips and discuss mods.

LxMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 05:50 PM   #3
Registered Member

Yep, it's called "pulse and glide" (or "burn and glide" by some, if you hit the gas really hard). It's a technique that goes way back -- I remember a Popular Mechanics or similar from my childhood with an article about a test vehicle that got something like 1,000 miles per gallon by using a tiny engine and doing pulse and glide at very low speeds.

Search the forums for "pulse and glide", "burn and glide", and/or "P&G" and you'll find lots of useful information on the technique.

Pat yourself on the back for thinking of it independently.

Rick

P.S. Haha, good going Mike, you hit your "Save" button three minutes faster than I did!
Old 08-04-2007, 06:14 PM   #4
Registered Member

well so far what I have read on this forum talks about doing such effect on hills and other surface slope terrain. Not on flats or maybe I have overread it if I'm wrong.
bfg9000d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 08:46 PM   #5
Supporting Member

we do it on flats and anywere we can get an effective glide. we also turn our engines off to get that extra little edge.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:48 PM   #6
Supporting Member

bfg9000d -

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfg9000d View Post
well so far what I have read on this forum talks about doing such effect on hills and other surface slope terrain. Not on flats or maybe I have overread it if I'm wrong.
Hilly terrain is definitely where the current P&G discussion is centered. I know that P&G has been my biggest contributor to FE :

Pulse and Glide Baby!!!! 10-19-2006
http://www.gassavers.org/showpost.ph...postcount=1146

I think that once you have mastered P&G for your route, aerodynamic mods become more important to extend the gliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 03:27 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey4mnhs View Post
we also turn our engines off to get that extra little edge.
Though not those of us with typical automatic transmissions, as that tends to fry them.

As CarloSW2 said, "current." Search (either here specifically, or Google in general) is your friend.

Rick
Old 08-05-2007, 08:08 AM   #8
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to n0rt0npr0
Rick,
Maybe only in the 2000 years and up range.
My 89 celeb, 93 prizm, 96 monte, 97 cutlass all do very very well with EOC'ing
I drove a 1999 dakota RT and a 2001 olds intrigue that didn't seem to like EOC very much, so for the newer stuff maybe its bad...
~Will
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Rae View Post
Though not those of us with typical automatic transmissions, as that tends to fry them.

As CarloSW2 said, "current." Search (either here specifically, or Google in general) is your friend.

Rick
Old 08-05-2007, 08:28 AM   #9
Registered Member

Yeah, yesterday I turned off the engine when coasting, and, well, it didn't turn back on (unless its in park. I missed an important green light for that. If you have an auto, leave it on. I also remember reading that it takes a lot of juice to start the car, so I don't even know if it is economical to turn it off at all.

skale7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 08:49 AM   #10
Stay true to the Game!

I use it a lot on the highway, At higher speeds it shifts seemlesly from D to N and N to D. At slower speeds a small clunk is felt. Good luck with your burn & glide.

popimp is offline   Reply With Quote