Bigger fuel tank for a civic vx ? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 09-01-2007, 09:01 PM   #1
Registered Member

Bigger fuel tank for a civic vx ?

I would like to swap out my 10 gallon fuel tank for something a little bigger.
I can get about 420 miles per tank before I chicken out. I usually get gas around the 400-420 mark.

Will the 12 gallon tank for a DX or EX work? What would be nice is if I can get a 20 gallon tank. That could possibly up my range to 850-900 miles before I freak out about running out of gas...

Has anyone done this to their vx?
Gary

'93 Civic vx - totally stock!

garyhgaryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 03:10 AM   #2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
Why?
The answer to that question is in my first post.
Gary

garyhgaryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 04:02 AM   #3
Registered Member

That amount of additional fuel would add a lot of weight to the car.
GasSavers_Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 06:58 AM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
lol, I was just thinking about this. I could get 1100 miles with my identical car! I think it's funny no one is willing to humor the poor guy just because it's not something that would help his FE. If anything, it might hurt it. If I knew the answer Gary I'd offer it, but I don't. But one thing you'd have to consider is that your needle is going to be on E for twice as long, and you're still gonna chicken out too early, so you probably won't double your mileage with a 20 gallon tank. If you see my reasoning Gary. Wow, that felt like a click and clack response. Nice car btw.

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 07:10 AM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
IIRC, gasoline weighs close to 8 lbs. a gallon. So going to a 20 gallon tank would more than double the weight of the 10 gallon tank (taking in account the extra weight of the larger tank as well). Yes, the larger tanks from the DX and Si hatchbacks of the 92-95 era will fit in the VX and would be the least amount of headache to swap. But in my eyes the ~1.9 gallons you would be able to carry wouldn't be worth it.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 10:50 AM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
Quote:
Hmm. I don't see any answer in your first post.

Brings up an interesting question tho'- what is optimal gas tank size? There may be no answer as it would be different for everybody? For example, I seem to want it both ways- don't want to carry lots of heavy sloshy fuel around, yet don't want to visit the gas station all the time. What would the criteria/formula be to determine the most efficient refill schedule? What is the average penalty in time, miles, FE, emissions, and cost for too frequent station visits? What is the average penalty for carrying around "extra" fuel?
The answer in his first post was that he could drive 900 miles on a tank of gas.
I think lugging extra weight around carries a bigger penalty than going to the gas station more frequently. I personally like being able to go 500+ miles on a tank of gas.

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 04:12 PM   #7
Registered Member

Gary, with my '95 VX, I used to regularly trickle in 5 extra gallons of gas after the gas pump automatically stopped. I used to regularly get 700+ miles per tankful, sometimes 800 miles when I drove very economically. I don't know how it's possible to put 15 gallons in a 10 gallon tank, but I definitely did it, and it had no negative affects on anything (and no leaking fuel out of the filler neck or anywhere else).
Old 09-02-2007, 04:15 PM   #8
Registered Member

I would need a manual to be sure, but there should be an extra gallon of two of capacity in the overflow bottle provided it has one and maybe another gallon or so in the gas tank hoses.
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 05:04 PM   #9
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to baddog671
Quote:
Hmm. I don't see any answer in your first post.

Brings up an interesting question tho'- what is optimal gas tank size? There may be no answer as it would be different for everybody? For example, I seem to want it both ways- don't want to carry lots of heavy sloshy fuel around, yet don't want to visit the gas station all the time. What would the criteria/formula be to determine the most efficient refill schedule? What is the average penalty in time, miles, FE, emissions, and cost for too frequent station visits? What is the average penalty for carrying around "extra" fuel?
I have an 8 gallon tank, the smallest Ive heard of on a normal car, and I actually think its too big. I normally get about 425 aswell before I fill, but if I would have went the entire tank last time, I would have gotten 624appx.

A 4gallon tank would be great for me. I dont see the problem with stopping to fill up and it'd eliminate 32lbs of dead weigh.
Old 09-02-2007, 05:32 PM   #10
Registered Member

Gary,

92 VX's have the 11.9 gallon tanks, and then Honda swapped to the 10 gallon tank. Check out this website http://www.civichatch.com/info/index.php

GasSavers_jason is offline   Reply With Quote