DashDyno? Anyone heard of it yet? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2008, 07:07 AM   #1

Question DashDyno? Anyone heard of it yet?

Just doing a search for Scangauges on eBay as I know someone who is searching methods for better mileage for his truck and I installed my Scangauge in it and he loved it (now I need to find him one of his own).

While searching I came across a DashDyno. It seems pricey but does have a lot of extras, IMO not $200 worth of extras. Also, here's the spec page.

Just curious if anyone has input. I don't have anymore OBDII cars that I regularly drive as I went old school diesels but once my Smartcar comes in, I may consider this as an addition though I don't plan on driving it too much once I get it.

BumblingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 11:05 AM   #2
Registered Member

Hm, I know the Scanguage can report horsepower, but not torque and acceleration times - but is it necessary? I mean, we're going for FE, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
P.S. I must be a wierdo as I think just because a guy can afford to do something, doesn't mean he should. I can afford to buy 100 gallons of gas several times a month, pour it on the ground, light it (or not)... but I don't think I should.
GasSavers_Minger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 12:27 PM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_Red
Looks kinda like a mini MODUS. Pricey but cool. I wonder if it supports user programming? With the SD card and the extra ports one could code in some extra toys based off real time sensor data
Old 01-13-2008, 06:36 PM   #4
Registered Member

G-tech

Hey thanks for the info, the only other dash dyno I know of is G-tech's model, it about $300, it does have software, and can store multiple runs, the software gives you spread sheets and graph's. Its got a number of functions, torque and horse power, gear shift points, and gear HP.

I almost bought one when I was designing intake runners in my garage and was either going build a dyno or break down and pay big bucks for real garage dyno time.
GasSavers_Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 08:56 PM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to kamesama980 Send a message via Yahoo to kamesama980
www.geeks.com has a basic gyro based 3 axis accelerometer that has G and HP readout, maybe more.
mechanic, carpenter, stagehand, rigger, and know-it-all smartass
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
kamesama980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 01:16 PM   #6
Registered Member

I bought the Dashdyno back in December, but now my 1999 Honda Civic HX was sidelined for a month trying to get Bridgestone B381 tires. Just got them and will put them on this weekend. I use the Dashdyno but it has got to be calibrated for miles then mpg first. I run a weeks worth of driving per each calibration. It has some really nice features that I like, but I haven't fully run into them yet. Look to a future review post by me!
JESSE69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 08:48 AM   #7
Registered Member

I'm thinking about getting this instead of the SG, although neither is in the budget right now

The big selling point for me is all of the data logging it can do. No more setting up cameras pointing at the dash

I'm not sure that I'd trust the dyno results, I'm not sure how they're measuring them, but I would think the results would be pretty crude.

Getting an accurate torque curve for your engine is very important since you want tq to be up, preferably in a plateau for FE. If you're not making torque you're just burning fuel. HP is only important during extremely aggressive pulses

So how many FE nuts will set their shift lights to 2000
boxchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 06:53 PM   #8
Registered Member

So far, calibrating my Dashdyno has been frustrating. Especially when it resets to zero from quirks and you lose your calibration.

I hope it works or maybe it's still under development. My last fuel economy correction factor didn't work out right, and then while driving I lose all my parameters! So now I got to recalibrate distance and fuel economy again! More than 2 weeks!
Old 02-18-2008, 07:01 PM   #9

Ouch!! Next question will obviously be after all that - How's their tech support?
BumblingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 07:20 PM   #10
Registered Member

They answered my emails except for the last one.

My Dash dyno was primarily bought for FE data, and if it doesn't get that I'll be unhappy. But it still has a lot of features that are useful. It helped reset my OBD light. The 0-60 feature is nice too. And the list display is way useful in seeing lots of data while driving. Told me my air intake is up 118F when the engine's hot.